Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

unexpected shutdown

This is a discussion on unexpected shutdown within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. the past couple of days my pc has been acting funny the most noticeable problem is my pc well just

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to gamer101 Send a message via Yahoo to gamer101

the past couple of days my pc has been acting funny the most noticeable problem is my pc well just restart while i am doing something. i am about 99.9 percent sure there is no viruses or other issues of that kind becaus i have avast anti virus and elite antikey logger running at all times i have preformed mutliply boottime virus scans and nothing shows up if i could any help or idea on what to try next it would be greatly appreciated and allso i am almost shure it aint any program either because it has shutdown in differnt programs

thanks, Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Resident Pirate

My System

Is Microsoft updates enabled and allowed to download and install updates automatically. Sometimes, it will download em, install em, then bring up a pop up asking you to restart and there's sometimes a time limit within which, if you don't select anything, it will restart itself automatically.

This could be one reason, but it's not very common to come across it.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to gamer101 Send a message via Yahoo to gamer101

i am sure i aint because of that it has happened to many to times to be that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #4

It has happened to me too. I have a laptop and it shutdown itself without notice. One of my friends said it might be a problem with the cooler, because it's filled with dust and it has to be opened and cleaned. But I know that a laptop isn't supposed to be opened by anyone, and I don't know where my computer was bought (it was a gift). Please help me...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
I helped the forums.

My System

Right click on "My Computer" and open "Properties". Click "Advanced" and under "Sartup and Recovery" click "Settings". Uncheck the box next to Automatically Restart. Click Ok, apply (if necessary) and OK again.

This will cause the computer to give you a Stop error screen (BSOD) instead of restarting the next it encounters the problem. Post the info given on that page back here for analysis.
It'll be something like: STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
It may also give you a file name.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #6

When you hit ctrl+alt+del what is the processor usage. It could be the processor getting rammed with stuff to do and then overheating, resulting in an automatic restart.

<b>mattlock138:</b> Will that not give him a BSOD, which will lead him to force restart?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
I helped the forums.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock138 View Post
Right click on "My Computer" and open "Properties". Click "Advanced" and under "Sartup and Recovery" click "Settings". Uncheck the box next to Automatically Restart. Click Ok, apply (if necessary) and OK again.

This will cause the computer to give you a Stop error screen (BSOD) instead of restarting the next it encounters the problem. Post the info given on that page back here for analysis. It'll be something like: STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
It may also give you a file name.
Yes it will. The info on the Stop Screen (BSOD) is for diagnostic purposes and will help us to figure out what is going on with the system.
Closed Thread