Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Unable to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

This is a discussion on Unable to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, my name is Greg and I am trying to fix my girlfriends computer but am having trouble and wish

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Exclamation

Hey, my name is Greg and I am trying to fix my girlfriends computer but am having trouble and wish to seek help. Here is what is happening. The computer is an old Dell Pentium 4 2.0ghz processor with 2GB of RAM and a 40GB clean harddrive. The running programs are the system's required ones along with: Webroot Spysweeper with Antivirus and Google Chrome update check. I installed the operating system with the dell cd and deleted the partition that contained all the bloatware. I updated the system to latest updates including the Service Pack 3. I installed all the necessary programs she would be using and need such as: Webroot Spysweeper with Antivirus, Office 2007, Java, Flash, and Internet Explorer 8 (came with the updates but just clarifying). Everything was working fine. Her and I took a mini vacation to Colorado and her daughter was on the computer and she told me of an error message that kept coming up randomly on her. I told her I would look at it after I came back from Colorado. I come back to find it now has a BSOD with the error message like STOP: 0x00000024. It wouldn't even let me boot into safemode. Fortunately, the dell disc came with a dell utility diagnostic tool. So I did an extended full system scan to ensure all the hardware was properly working. Everything passed! So did a scan disk to make sure, it found 1 error and fixed it. Still the computer comes up with a BSOD before it hits the log in screen. So I took the Dell disc and did repaired the operating system (replaces the system files with the ones on the disc). It fixed the BSOD, but now the computer is running slow and seems to be unable to update to the Service Pack 2.

Here is what is currently happening. Whenever you shutdown the program it always states that the file midiriya.exe failed to initialize or install before shutting down. I will try to get a better look at the error message when I go back over as it doesn't pause on the message because it immediately pops up than goes away. But while the computer is running in the task manager if you watch the Processes, midiriya.exe keeps running and closing, running, closing. So I now know what is causing the computer to slow down lol. Anyways, I can install and update the rest of the windows updates but when trying to install service pack 2 it will bring up the error 16 ms-dos subsystem ntvdmcpu illegal obstruction, close or ignore. It brings up that error dialog box whenever it gets to the stage during the installation called Installing Cabinets. And it will just sit there like it's doing something but it won't ever move. The computer doesn't freeze, lock up, or slow down at all but it will just sit there lol. Clicking either Close or ignore doesn't make a difference btw. I have already ran a virus and spyware scan with the results coming up with 3 findings of malware but even after cleaning them out still no relief of this problem. I would rather not have to do a fresh install. I first suspected a corrupted download of the service pack, so I manually downloaded service pack 2 from the Microsoft's website and still get the same error message. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello DarkOwnage_

I think midiriya.exe is some sort of malware. You will have to get that cleaned up before trying to install SP2 as it it will not install on an infected system.

Please read “Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Help “ and follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information in the Virus Help Forum
If you cannot complete any step, just miss it out and do what you can, but be sure to include this information in your post.
Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus Help Forum; not back here in this one.

Please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

Closed Thread