Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Unable to install important software

This is a discussion on Unable to install important software within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been trying to install necessary business software on my office computer with no luck. When I initiate the "setup.exe"

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:17 PM   #1

I've been trying to install necessary business software on my office computer with no luck. When I initiate the "setup.exe" program it opens the program and hangs. All I see is the cursor turn into the hourglass and sit there. I can let this go on for an hour and nothing else happens. Immediately when I click anywhere on the screen "(not responding) appends itself to the titlebar at the top. I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of it.

I've installed this same software flawlessly on six other computers here at work with no problems. I'm unsure what's wrong with this machine and would appreciate any help from anyone who might know where to start looking for a fix. I've ran HijackThis! and deleted everything unnecessary with the help of the "spyware" section of this site. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #2

Some antivirus software falsely sees a few executables as a threat and will hang them up. You might have to turn off your antivirus if you are installing trusted software.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #3

Nope, I just tried turning the auto protect of Norton off and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

I'm baffled why this doesn't install on this machine after successfully launching on each of the others. My last resort option is to reinstall XP but I don't want to do that unless nothing else works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
Sgt.

My System

Have you customised anything in the system registry, the Windows Services or anything else in the Adnim tools section that could affect how software installs, or is this a clean XP install?
Also, you may have a corupted copy of the install media if you are using a backup copy of the original CD to install. (It can happen if the CD-Writer makes an error it doesn't catch).
Try uninstalling Norton and then seeing if the behavior changes at all.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #5

The things that Sarge and Brainiac have mentioned are certainly plausable, however its not the only thing that may be causing your troubles. Spyware/viruses/trojans/other malware have been known to create issues like the one you've explained. Its hard to say at this point whats causing it, but please don't dismiss this possibility either. It might be a good time to run an online virus scan such as HOUSECALL from trend micro for a second opinion. Running spybot and/or adaware would be a next step as well.

Finally, if none of the above corrects the problem .... especially if the cd you're using is the exact one you've used to install in the other systems, you may have an optical drive going bad.
Closed Thread