Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Unable to boot, invalid system disk. replace disk and press any key to continue

This is a discussion on Unable to boot, invalid system disk. replace disk and press any key to continue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just downloaded Windows XP(Service pack 3) and mounted it to a USB disc. Problem is, it doesnt work. On

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to aayushagra

I just downloaded Windows XP(Service pack 3) and mounted it to a USB disc.

Problem is, it doesnt work. On the boot screen it gives me the message invalid system disk. replace disk and press any key to continue and then when i press any key, it boots into my hard drive/Windows 8.

Originally i thought something was wrong with the boot but now i think it may or may not be. All help is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Few, if any, downloadable copies of WinXP are legal. The 'Invalid System Disk' error message is the tip off.

You'll need to buy a copy from an authorized source. There is no way to trick the system into recognizing an illegal copy of Windows.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

I used PowerISO to create a bootable USB.
It gave the error, i mounted the same thing to a DVD and it worked fine.

I also tried writing with WinToFlash and Rufus, both of them didnt even give any error message at all, just stood there with the _ sign...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot Priority. If your computer has the ability to boot from USB, then make that the First Boot Device.
Does your motherboard support booting from USB? Did you go into the Bios and change the Boot Priority to USB?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Does your motherboard support booting from USB? Did you go into the Bios and change the Boot Priority to USB?
I tried this on two systems, one a Pentium and other an intel I7.

On the pentium one i have to go into the bios and set it to boot from the removable drive, but even after i set it just gives me the _ for some time and when i press any button it boots from the Hard Disk.

For for the I7, i dont need to set it into the bios as it already detects bootable devices. On DVD it reads perfectly but on the USB stick it gives the above error.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A Pentium One motherboard is too old to have the option to Boot from USB (USB 1.1 was just invented back then and there were no such things as Flash Drives)
You must change the Boot order in the Bios to boot to USB. There is a different boot order for CD/DVD Rom drives, USB Flash Drive and Internal HDD. Which ever you want to boot first, must be in the boot order. If USB or CD/DVD is not first, and internal HDD is first, it will boot to the HDD. If CD/DVD is first and Internal HDD is second, if there is no CD/DVD, it will boot from the internal HDD, and so on.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
A Pentium One motherboard is too old to have the option to Boot from USB (USB 1.1 was just invented back then and there were no such things as Flash Drives)
You must change the Boot order in the Bios to boot to USB. There is a different boot order for CD/DVD Rom drives, USB Flash Drive and Internal HDD. Which ever you want to boot first, must be in the boot order. If USB or CD/DVD is not first, and internal HDD is first, it will boot to the HDD. If CD/DVD is first and Internal HDD is second, if there is no CD/DVD, it will boot from the internal HDD, and so on.
Omg that was a big fail on my end...

When i said pentium one, i really meant it gramatically as to refer to the pentium processor.
It is actually Pentium 4 :/
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

As there are not any legal downloads of XP other then Microsoft technet subscribers this thread is closed.
Closed Thread