Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Unable to access craigslist.com from one workstation

This is a discussion on Unable to access craigslist.com from one workstation within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am unable to access craigslist from my workstation. We have four computers networked peer to peering including one

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I am unable to access craigslist from my workstation. We have four computers networked peer to peering including one running on Linux. The other workstations have no problem accessing their site.

For some reason this one won't. It happened from one day to the next. I have AVG and spybot and ran them both. Aside from tracking cookies, they found nothing. I can ping their site at both the domain name and their ip address and I get the reply "expired in transit".

I checked my firewall (windows) to see if there was some place where there is a blacklist of some type but didn't find anything like that. It happens regardless of which browser I use, Firefox, IE and Kmeleon. I know that it has to be a problem with my workstation. I also flushed the cache in my browser and used the command line to flush the dns cache to no avail. Keep in mind this is happening from only one workstation out of four.

Any ideas what is going on? I use craigslist.com regularly to obtain work and sell items or seek items I need. It is part of my bread and butter.

Any help is appreciated.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Browse to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc open the Hosts file with Notepad. Delete any lines after
127.0.0.1 localhost
save the file and try it again.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Gone | Not Forgotten

Is Craiglist required for work or are you using it for personal use? If this a work PC, your employer may have placed restriction on this one PC.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I work out of my home. This is not an employer workstation. I had already checked the hosts file earlier to see if there was an entry that would affect craigslist, but found nothing. There were no other entries besides the localhost ip number.

However, after running spybot's protection "immunize" and checking as suggested here, I notice there are many entries in the hosts file made by that program. I did a search but found none that reference craigslist.

I will assume that the entries made by spybot are ok and I left them alone. They are commented by remarks that point to a spybot entry at the beginning and end of it's entries.

I am at a loss, unless there is some type of malware that has gotten into my computer that cannot be detected by AVG or spybot.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

AVG or Spybot may be blocking the site. either make it a safe site for the software or try uninstalling Spybot.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, here's the latest. I was about to uninstall Spybot and its uninstall program asks just before the uninstall if I would rather use the undo function built into spybot before uninstalling.

So it made me think how about if I were to use system restore to go back say a week when everything was fine. I did that and upon rebooting, access to craigslist was restored. HOWEVER, after about 10 minutes after checking my account and editing one of my ads, I lost it again and once again I got the "expired in transit" message when attempting to ping their web site.

Before writing in here I even changed my internal IP address to see if somehow my address was detected and put on a black list of some kind. This seems awfully fishy to me that I could get on fine and then, POOF!, I'm essentially kicked off.

Could there be some type of blacklist going on that has flagged my workstation? Do you still think I should uninstall Spybot after this experiment?

I have this workstation connected via iogear kvm switch to a Linux box and when I switch over to it, I get to craigslist with no problem. A notebook running vista gets on with no problem as well.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Make sure the security sections of your browsers all are the same on each. Did you do any updates even AV updates after doing System Restore? Try Disabling Spybot and see what happens.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi,

I disabled Spybot with no success. As I mentioned, the odd thing is that after doing the system restore and getting on craigslist to do some work, it bombed out on me again after just about 10 minutes logged into my craigslist account.

Is it possible to ask around among your peers to see if anyone has heard of this problem?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

After my parent's ISP went over to PPPOE they could no longer access any on-line catalogs or banking sites that used https. I was at a loss as to why this was so. I even talked to the ISP's "tech support" and they had not a clue. After spending half a day trying one "fix" after another I finally uninstalled and re-installed the network driver -- problem solved. I still don't know the exact cause, however.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'll try it. I also checked the browsers and they have no major difference between them.

Tony
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
TSF Emeritus

Click Start => run type in CMD press OK. When command prompt opens up type in Ping craigslist.com and press Enter. Please copy and paste the results back into this thread

Check if you are using any Proxy Settings, here's how to remove it.

Clear your browser's cache. Here's a guide.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Have you tried accessing craigslist from another workstation? If you have the same problem on another PC, I'd try accessing again from a different computer on a different internet connection.

Craigslist does have some unique anti-spam and blacklisting techniques they use, which may or may not be the issue.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
Registered Member

Hello all,

Thanks for the tips and advice. I tried all the above suggestions with no luck. The suggestion to update my nic driver seemed to be the closest to solving the issue as suggested. However after a few minutes, I lost access to craigslist again. Then, I picked up the ip address from a ping to Craigslist and entered it into my hosts file, then rebooted.

It worked. So far anyway. I would consider this a work around (not a fix) as in the six or so years that I have used craigslist I have NEVER had this problem, much less saw the need to manually alter one of my windows files.

I would still like to know what is causing this to happen. could I have picked up a tracking cookie from criagslist because I passed a certain thresh hold, such as posting "too many" adds?

And if I did, how could I detect such a thing and remove it? I am assuming that is what might be happening.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions,

Tony

Whoops!! Spoke too soon. It happened again. I "lost" access to craigslist. What the hell!!!???

Anyone?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
TSF Emeritus

Did you do a ping ? I posted two posts up, please do it again and copy and paste the results back to this thread
Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hi,

For some reason when I put the reference to craigslist using the whole domain name, it gives me: craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events. Figure that one out!! So please ignore this text as my post did not have that. In the paragraph below I had to go back and edit my post to eliminate the above URL.

following is the results of a ping to craigslist. I also pinged the IP address using the results from the first ping. Unlike prior pings that gave me a reply of "expired in transit".

Can a workstation behind a router doing NAT be identified? I was under the impression that the main IP number is identified (i.e. the assigned router address). If this is so, then the only way my workstation can be isolated from the rest is if there is some type of tracking cookie or tracking software that was installed without my knowing. Is this a correct assumption?

What if I accessed my router and released the IP address (dynamic) to see if I get assigned another? I'm not sure if my router has that capability but it might be a matter of shutting it off and rebooting it after a few minutes. Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks,

Tony

Here are the results of the ping:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Pinging craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events [208.82.236.208] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 208.82.236.208:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\tony>
C:\Documents and Settings\tony>
C:\Documents and Settings\tony>Ping 208.82.236.208

Pinging 208.82.236.208 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 208.82.236.208:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

PS: I just did a quick test pinging from the Linux box and I got a different IP address as a reply than the one above (208.82.238.129). Here is the text of that ping:

[email protected]:~> ping craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
PING craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=2 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=3 ttl=245 time=125 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=4 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=5 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=6 ttl=245 time=123 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=7 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (208.82.238.129): icmp_seq=8 ttl=245 time=125 ms

--- craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 8 received, 0% packet loss, time 7011ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 123.905/124.838/125.672/0.574 ms
[email protected]:~>

[email protected]:~> ping 208.82.236.208
PING 208.82.236.208 (208.82.236.208) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 208.82.236.208 ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 5999ms

[email protected]:~> ping 208.82.238.129
PING 208.82.238.129 (208.82.238.129) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 208.82.238.129: icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from 208.82.238.129: icmp_seq=2 ttl=245 time=123 ms
64 bytes from 208.82.238.129: icmp_seq=3 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from 208.82.238.129: icmp_seq=4 ttl=245 time=124 ms
64 bytes from 208.82.238.129: icmp_seq=5 ttl=245 time=123 ms
--- 208.82.238.129 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 123.849/124.248/124.877/0.482 ms
[email protected]:~>

I am going to try modifying my host file once again with this new info and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

try craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hi betranu,

I'm sorry , it wasn't clear what you proposed I try. What came across was: "try craigslist: dallas / fort worth classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events"

This URL gets pasted to my post whenever I use the entire craigslist URL. I have to be careful NOT to put the entire path as it will spell out the above URL every time. could this be a security measure on the part of craigslist?

Tony
Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

i mean craiglist . org
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hi,

it times out as before. I am going to edit my host file once again with the new ip address I picked up from the linux machine.

tony
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

When you ping, don't cut and paste -- at the command prompt, type ping craigslist.org You were pinging craigslist.com. You can try deleting your cookies in the browser you're using, or try a different browser.

If cl is blocking you for some reason, it will most likely be done based on your WAN IP address and/or your e-mail address.
Closed Thread