Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Trimming Down Apache OpenOffice

This is a discussion on Trimming Down Apache OpenOffice within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Dimension 9100 Windows XP SP3 Someone sent me a Wordpad document. I was able to read the text with

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Dell Dimension 9100 Windows XP SP3

Someone sent me a Wordpad document. I was able to read the text with Wordpad, but I got this error concerning an attached graphic: 'Unable to load graphics conversion filter'. I searched Microsoft and found a registry hack to enable the graphics conversion filter. It did not work.

Next I downloaded Apache OpenOffice. It is a large file containing lots of features, most of which I will never use. I have the option of selecting only the features I want. I do not know which feature(s) will allow me to view Wordpad graphics. There was one feature titled Graphics Filters but the description described it as: Additional filters required to read alien graphic formats.

Can someone help me with choosing only those features that will allow me to view Wordpad graphics with Apache OpenOffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the extension on the file that was sent to you that you want to open (eg) .pdf, .txt, .doc, .docx ? WordPad files are saved as .RTF. or .txt.
OpenOffice Writer allows you to open Microsoft Wordpad .txt, .RTF, or Microsoft Office .doc, .docx as well as OpenOffice .odt files.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I'm sorry. I should have mentioned. It's a .doc file (Wordpad document).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

.doc is a Microsoft Word document 97-2003. .docx is a Word 2007-2016. Wordpad does not allow images embedded in a document only Word does. Open Office Write should be able to open this file.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I never create or receive .doc files, didn't know I had a .doc reader on this computer, and really wasn't expecting anything to happen when I clicked on this one. Wordpad just opened it on it's own. Attached are pictures of the file and Microsoft's fix.

Since I had already downloaded Apache OpenOffice, I decided to try it. I only installed the 'Writer' feature. It did open the document and displayed the included picture, as well, as shown in the attached picture.

My first solution was to have the sender send the picture again, only as an inline attachment to an email. As that might not always be possible, I will keep the Writer feature of Apache OpenOffice.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doc x.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	272569   Click image for larger version

Name:	doc z.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	272577  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

As you can see in the pictures, this .doc file is shown to be a Wordpad file. The icon is for (I suppose) a Wordpad document.

After I installed Apache OpenOffice Writer and assigned it to open .doc files, the icon changed to a Word document icon. As (I assume), the icon is to indicate the file format rather than the application that will open it), maybe computers do make mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doc Word.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	272585  
Old 02-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Since you didn't have Microsoft Office or OpenOffice installed on your computer when you first opened this file, Windows defaulted to the next closest thing to open the .doc file which comes with Windows which is Word Pad. Word pad is a simple generic word processing software that can open .doc MS Word files and view the text but not any of the extra formatting, pictures etc.
OpenOffice should be able to open and create any MS Office Word documents and retain the formatting, pictures etc you get or want to create in the future.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Haven't been around in a little while, til this thread. Just noticed your title. Congratulations...I'm sure you deserve it and I am happy for you!
Closed Thread