Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Think This Might Be Urgent...

This is a discussion on Think This Might Be Urgent... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay guys, I'm back online. I just got a computer from a friend of mine. It's a piece of crap

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

Okay guys, I'm back online. I just got a computer from a friend of mine. It's a piece of crap laptop until I can get up enough money to get a really nice one. Anyways, it's an acer TravelMate 2200. I has XP, um and it's a freakin dinosaur. Anyways, it's been doing fairly well since I had it, untill now. Oh, it also has a dual booted ubuntu linux.

I've been messing around here and there with some new hacking software, trying to learn security tools to help me with my job when I need them (IT US Navy). So I got Cain and Abel. I've been messing around with it here and there, trying this and that. I haven't been doing anything I would consider illegal, but anyways. I open my Task Manager up and what do I see? My performance is maxed out to 100% and is on there steady. It hasn't dropped in 20 minutes. I keep having to cut my computer off to let it cool down. I went to my processes and cut off the scv-something host, which was continually getting more processing mem usage every second (got up to 80,000 KB). It didn't do anything.

I've already Msconfiged the computer and set it to the best performance possible. I've cut off nearly all programs coming on startup. I've also went into system_>visual performance and put it on best performance. Yet, it's STILL maxed out to 100% and staying there. Processes show nothing. The thing now holding it up is explorer.exe! what the heck is going on!

I only have 23 processes running, why the heck is it freakin out on me? I thought it might be a hack or something, so I disconnected it from the modem and from wireless, still nothing. I started a scan, but that was only adding to the noise.

Does anyone have a solution here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

Wait...it just dropped. :| it just dropped from 100% to 0%. What the crap! I see no difference, just the performance dropped. I still can't figure out what it was...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi CD27 !

High cpu usage by one of the svchost processes or the explorer.exe process can be caused by the automatic updates when the computer starts (among other things). More info about svchost on ask Leo! If you want to know what's behind one given svchost process then download tasklist.exe (if needed, it's included in XP Pro but not in XP Home) and run tasklist /svc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Yeah, i've seen the Process Explorer before and just downloaded the entire Sysinternals Pack. Actually, it could be the updates thing. It was showing that it was trying to install the new updates, but it's still showing zero percent on the instillation. I never knew something like that could crash my computer...wow. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Troubled

My System

double post..
Closed Thread