Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

The Security Center doesn't show up in services

This is a discussion on The Security Center doesn't show up in services within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. But it does show up in the control panel. Is that normal? Basically, I was trying to follow this guide:

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

But it does show up in the control panel. Is that normal?

Basically, I was trying to follow this guide: Windows XP - Disabling the Security Center But I couldn't do the "Turn off Windows Security Centre" part because the security center isn't listed. Is this a problem, and if so what should I do to try and fix it? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
TSF Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Babbzzz

Hello Actraiser

Security Center being disabled may be related with malware, but I'd like you to answer a few questions before we can decide on that.

Is your computer running slower than usual? See too many ads/pop-ups while browsing? What anti-virus software do you have installed? Have you tried doing a System File Check? When did this start happening?

I'm assuming you are on Windows XP.

See if all the dependencies of Security Center are also set correctly. See this (link to BlackViper's website) guide for help.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, Babbzzz. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.

Is the Security Center disabled? There's still an icon that shows up in the Control Panel, and I can click it and turn on and off the firewall and stuff. It just doesn't show up in services, which I found to be odd. I don't know when this started happening. I only noticed it yesterday, but it could have been like that for a while.

No it doesn't seem like my computer is running slower than usual, and I'm not seeing more ads or pop-ups than normal (but I am using adblock). I don't have any anti-virus software installed – pretty silly, I know. I do use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan sometimes, but that's about it. Also, I just tried doing the System File Check, but I got this message:

“Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your windows XP Professional CD2 now.”

I definitely don't have that CD anymore (I got this computer in 2005.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

I don't know if this is related, but a message popped up on my screen that said: "HP Update: The specified service does not exist as an installed service."
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow put your HP recovery CD (XP CD) in and it will replace any missing system files.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Spunk, I tried doing the System File Check, but I got this message:

“Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your windows XP Professional CD2 now.”

I don't have that CD anymore. Where should I go from there?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

This message is telling you that the file you have on your computer is newer then the file on your CD. If you press enter when you see this message, it will skip this file and only replace the corrupted or missing files.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

I don't have the "HP recovery CD (XP CD)" either, though.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

you are missing system files. You need an XP CD to repair your computer, or to reinstall XP.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
TSF Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Babbzzz

Backup the registry before trying this registry fix.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/windows-xp-secuirty-center-service-does-not-exist/a2a69f2d-0e85-436b-9bda-4d3814c5d9fc
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks, Babbzzz, but I had no luck. I guess I need the XP CD to continue troubleshooting -- but I have no idea what it actually is or how to get it. I mean, is it the same CD I would use to reformat my computer? Again, any CDs that came with this computer are gone. I'm confused about where to go from here.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

What is the make and model# of your computer?
Yes you need the XP Recovery CD that came with your computer. If you can't find this CD and your computer is an HP you can contact them to see if you can get a replacement CD: Looking for HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive? | HP® Support
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Okay, cool. Thanks a lot, Spunk. I'll try and get that CD. Probably good to have it either way.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Always have an anti virus program because they have real time detection wouldn't you rather prevent any viruses from getting in rather than wait to scan with Malwarebytes then the virus/malware could already infiltrated your system? A real time anti virus scanner is the first line of defense, malwarebytes second line of defense.

We recommend Microsoft Security Essentials .

Also remember Windows XP end of life is coming soon on April of this year meaning no support and Windows updates for XP. If you can upgrade to Windows Vista or even Windows 7 I would recommend that. Depending if your system is compatible with them (drivers).

Edit: If you can not upgrade I would recommend downloading and installing SP3 for XP and all updates now before it's too late. Also making a slip stream cd/dvd so if you need to reinstall Windows XP you will have all the up to date updates for Windows XP. You should do this only if your system is clean of viruses/malware. When or if suggested by the Microsoft Staff go to the "Virus Help" link in my signature.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread