Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

The Page Cannot Be Displayed

This is a discussion on The Page Cannot Be Displayed within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 2002 Toshiba 1955-S803 laptop, Windows XP, Service Pack 2 (fresh install), 1.2 GB RAM. I can't get it online. It's

Like Tree24Likes
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

2002 Toshiba 1955-S803 laptop, Windows XP, Service Pack 2 (fresh install), 1.2 GB RAM.

I can't get it online. It's WiFi connected but won't display a web page. Attached photos show its configuration.

What's the solution? I've been through all related YouTube tutorials, to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4990 (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	323258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4992 (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	323260   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4993 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	323262  

Name:	DSCN4995 (2).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	323264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5005 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	323266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5002 (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	323268  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

It could be your old computer. Change 802.11 n mode to 802.11 b/g/n on your router and and see what happens.
vanukuru.vinod likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Security Team Moderator

Have you tried using another browser? It appears that you're using IE6, which is quite old and won't render most modern Web sites properly.
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

The PC is set for a private network, not for internet, indicating that it's not reaching the router to receive an IP via DHCP, what's your router's IP address?

Often, setting IE to not 'Automatically detect settings' will workaround problems similar to this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IE non auto connect.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	323270  
profdlp and LouMjr like this.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft The latest version of Internet Explorer Browser that works on XP is IE8. IE8 and IE6 are not supported with just about all web sites now, it's too old. We strongly suggest running a version of Linux on this machine like Ubuntu.
If you want to stick with XP, here is a list of browser you can try https://alternativeto.net/list/52/up...for-windows-xp
On an Internet Computer, Download the Browser setup files to a USB Flash Drive then insert that into the troubled computer to install.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

I'd just like to add that the latest service pack for XP is SP3.

Running any O/S without being fully updated is asking for trouble.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As stated, In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) property window, you have it set to a static IP address. (ie) 169.254.x.x Click the Radio button to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
None the less, most web sites will not load their page on Internet Explorer.
satrow likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've burned a DVD of the Comodo IceDragon browser from the link you provided, spunk.funk. How do I download it to be used as my browser on the Toshiba 1955-S803?
Old 03-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
Security Team Moderator

If the IceDragon installer is on the DVD, insert the disc into the computer running XP, and run the Installer.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

It just shows a picture of the file folders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5007 (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	323274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5008 (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	323276  
Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

When I click "Obtain an IP Address Automatically", it shows "Limited or no connectivity".

These are some of the steps I've tried repeatedly and none has been successful in getting the system online and site accessible.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Have you tried turning off ' Automatically detect...' yet?
Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First, reset the Internet Protocol https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/...indows-XP.aspx
Then on the internet computer when you Download Comdo Ice Dragon browser, do not Run it choose to Save As and Save it to your Download Location. The Down loaded file will be called icedragonsetup. Do not run it. We suggest copying this setup file to a USB Flash drive so you can Erase it later and use it again.
Then Run it on the Troubled Computer
Old 03-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

I'm apparently not understanding any of your instructions, spunk.funk.

Firstly, resetting the internet protocol manually isn't activating, or I'm not understanding how to get it to register.

The automatic setup seems impossible to accomplish unless I can get online on the Toshiba 1955-S803.

Secondly, a "Save as" option is not offered in the Comodo setup. I downloaded the file to CyberLink and burned to disk (It doesn't offer a thumb drive option.) There is no "icedragonsetup" file shown.

The Comodo IceDragon burned files are shown in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5010 (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	323280  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Is burning a CD the only option you have for transferring files from one computer to another? Do you have the Comodo IceDragon setup file called icedragonsetup in your downloads folder? If you do, copy it to the problematic computer and then open it to start the installation.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:35 AM   #16
Registered Member

You can see the sub-files in the attachment. I don't see any setup option, do you?

I've gone through this process twice. Isn't there a download option somewhere in XP?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:08 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
You can see the sub-files in the attachment. I don't see any setup option, do you?

I've gone through this process twice. Isn't there a download option somewhere in XP?
What I see is a bunch of files on a CD! You burned the wrong files to CD, period. Let's start from there. Posting and reposting the contents of that disc doesn't help you any. What you should have burned to the CD, is the icedragonsetup file that you have downloaded from the Comodo website, or didn't you download such a file, using the computer that you're using to burn the CDs and access the Internet? It's just one file, not a bunch of files and folders like what you have on the CD. If this is a rewritable CD, erase it and then burn the icedragonsetup file to it. If it's not a rewritable CD, discard it because it is useless now. The bunch of files on it won't help you in any way. If you have a flash drive, use it instead of burning CDs just to transfer a single file. You've gone through the same process twice, and each time you've done the wrong thing. Just stop, listen and understand what we're telling you to do. You obviously have a limited understanding of computer stuff, and that's fine, but you need to follow what you're told and not what you think you should be told. Isn't that the whole point of seeking assistance here?

Now, how do you download stuff using your Internet pc? Do you not open a link to a website that has the stuff you want to download? If that is not how you do it, then how do you go about it? After the download is complete, how do you access the stuff that you've just downloaded? Do you not open your downloads folder, inside which you find the downloaded stuff? If not so, then how do you do it? I'm trying to understand here what you actually do when you "download" a file via the Internet because it seems you have a totally different idea of what it means.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:13 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What browser are you using on your internet Computer? (ie) IE? Chrome? Firefox? go to this Web Site. https://icedragon.comodo.com/
Click the Big Red Button that says Free Download. In IE, you are given the choice to Run it or to Save AS. Click Save As and choose to Download it to your computer. There will be only one file that downloads, it is called icedragonsetup. Which is the Setup file. Again, Don't RUN It. Burn this one file to your CD. put that CD in the troubled computer and Double Click it to install (Run) it.
If you want to try the Browser out without installing it, on the CD you posted the picture of in post #14 click the IceDragon icon to start the browser.

As for Resetting the TCP/IP stack with steps in Post #13:
On the troubled computer running XP, Go to the Start Button, on the lower panel on the right side of the panel that pops up,click RUN. You can also press the Windows key on the keyboard and press R at the same time. ln the Run Box type CMD and press Enter.
In the Command Prompt type this exactly as written
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and press Enter, then type
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and press Enter.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #19
Security Team Moderator

Hi,

As other members have said above, you need to download the icedragonsetup.exe file from the Comodo website.

Save the file to a USB Flash Drive, or burn icedragonsetup.exe to a disc. Transfer the USB or CD/DVD to the XP machine.

Double-click on icedragonsetup.exe and follow the onscreen prompts.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #20
Registered Member

Followed your instructions, spunk.funk, on the Comodo setup file and then burned it to disk. Same results as before. When clicking on the IceDragon sub-file under "Browser", I get the message shown in the attachment.

As to the command prompt reset, notice the message below the first entry. It's not recognized.

The third attachment shows my physical address, IP address and subnet mask.

As to Stancestans's complaint about my not following instructions, he's not here, wrestling with my machines. I'm here alone trying to solve these problems. I follow his instructions as best as I understand them, but sometimes his instructions are unclear and rudely articulated. He's chosen to volunteer his time to these projects and should exercise proper decorum when addressing a member's concerns. There's no excuse for his intolerant, insulting behavior. It's unprofessional and immature. Bet I'm not alone in expressing this view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5011 (2).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	323282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5018 (2).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	323284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5021 (2).jpg
Views:	50