Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Terrible Damage; XP Hard Drive Died (Blue screen while booting)

This is a discussion on Terrible Damage; XP Hard Drive Died (Blue screen while booting) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have tried to google for solution but nothing worked. I cannot come to windows xp (to desktop). No

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi
I have tried to google for solution but nothing worked. I cannot come to windows xp (to desktop). No matter how I boot (normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with cmd and so on), it always gives me out bluescreen error that goes away extremly fast (around 1 microsecond or even less). I tired around 15 different copies of xp - all were bootable but nowhere were the option Recovery Console, also not (Re)Install Windows. I repeat, I cannot come to desktop. I tried with Linux's knoppix cd - hardware is good, all datas could be accessable well. But this doesn't mean anything to me. Thanks good it goes only through Knoppix bootable cd, I don't want to have linux installed. I want to come to xp. Im not so good in Knoppix - just in case if someone thought to give me some instructions through it.
My question is the following:
Could anyone please provide me a solution? I know the following is against the rules but I have no choice; Does anyone know where, online, I could get proper installation windows xp pro (sp3)? Which will, for sure, have the options to reinstall (overwritte) xp over damaged one?

I apologize for this, I know its not good to ask this but I really see no other way.

Hopefully someone could help please.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Troubled

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hello!

Your operating system is most likely corrupted.
Or HDD might be damaged.

Do you have any important files on HDD???
Take out HDD, connect HDD to some other PC and backup important data.

Check what make/model is HDD. Visit manufacturer's Web Site,
download diagnostic tools and scan your HDD.

If HDD is bad, it is vital to backup data as soon as possible.
If HDD turns out to be OK, you have two options:
1. To run System Repair.
2. Wipe HDD and do a clean install of operating system.

Post back after you scan HDD...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Gone | Not Forgotten

Quote:
Could anyone please provide me a solution? I know the following is against the rules but I have no choice; Does anyone know where, online, I could get proper installation windows xp pro (sp3)? Which will, for sure, have the options to reinstall (overwritte) xp over damaged one?
Your are right, we won't ....

Were in the world did you get about 15 copies of XP from ?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirb View Post
1. To run System Repair.
2. Wipe HDD and do a clean install of operating system.
Neither of those two options can be made. First one not because Im not able to come to desktop, every time I boot or reboot, it gives me bluescreen error. No matter what kind of boot I do (normal / safe mode). Bootable cds are recognized fine but I don't have the options to Reinstall xp or to use Recovery console - as you said ''repair''. Thats not possible - I don't have this option. The only thing I have is some partitions screen where I have a choice to delete partition. I think on the same screen is also possible to create partition. But as I said, I don't have the recovery / repair / (re)install options anywhere - no matter which bootable xp cd I try, so far I haven't got (used) the one that would have those two options.
I also found on google the possible advice (command in cmd):
d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
where d is cd letter. This creates recovery file but, unfortunately, only on the computer where this command is being done. This is happening on my laptop, so any solution with floppies cannot be made also. One idea that I got was doing this through knopix (linux) bootable cd for my damaged xp. All datas are fine, they are accessable but I have never used knopix so I don't know how to do this and doubt if this would work. I could post on linux forum if this could be done but in around two hours I won't have this (it is my) computer where Im typing this post and I doubt they would answer me in so short time.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

so if anyone knows what to do, I would like to kindly please for assist.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Gone | Not Forgotten

You still did not answer my question.

We are not going to assist you if we think you are using a bootleg copy of windows. Many of boot leg copies are stripped down/not complete, that could be the problem.

Again where did you get 15 copies of XP? Are you running a bootleg copy now?

Suggest that you install the HD in another PC, set up as a slave and do the HD Test. You can also pull the info off it and then a wipe and reinstall if need be.

This forum. like many others are very busy, so it can be a couple days for assistance.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

how long have you owned this? is this yours?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

Basementgeek: Around 15 different copies, that I Tried, were different versions from online downloads. But not original, thats why I didn't have the Recovery Console option. As you said, I know this forum is busy but I hoped someone could answer before I left my PC two days ago. Thats why I haven't been able to answer before until now. I borrowed the original, bought, copy of windows xp, with a help of the one from above, I got the Recovery Console option to use it (on this original copy of xp). What I did was the command ''chkdsk /r''. After waiting more than 5 hours, this specific issue is fixed. I think bluescreen boot error was because of bad sectors on internal hard drive. So the downloaded versions of xp didn't work. But now, after I used original / bought from the shop copy, it worked. This doesn't mean my laptop is fine. I will still have to please for malware removing assistance on another section of this forum. Thank you anyway for your reply.

speedster123: I have had this problem since last wednesday. Firstly I thought I got some a virus while browsing but after running the chkdsk from recovery console, I see I, probably, had a bad sector on hard drive.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Troubled

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

If you have bad sectors, backup important data as soon as possible...
If HDD has bad sectors it means that HDD is dying slowly...
One day HDD will be dead and you will not be able to backup important data...
Closed Thread