Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

TECH SUPPORT

This is a discussion on TECH SUPPORT within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer has become very slow in loading programs such as Firefox. Once it is loaded it doesn't work smoothly

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

My computer has become very slow in loading programs such as Firefox. Once it is loaded it doesn't work smoothly as before. Not Responding message appears and everything stops working for a while. Scrolling also doesn't always work. Sometimes the arrow changes to the hourglass and stops working. After a while it changes back to the arrow again and so it continues.

Quite regularly I get the "script not working" message window in the middle of the screen with "continue" or "cancel" options. Sometimes it is the Shockwave plugin and at other times it is Google or other script. And often the end program command doesn't work. For the last few days, script error message for Internet Explorer comes on at powering up.

I have been thinking of reloading Windows but with no more Microsoft support for XP I don't know how I am going to get the updates.

I know the laptop is very old(2001) but I really use it mainly to check emails. Any help in resolving the above issues would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
shafiahmed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

First off, All updates are available for Windows XP and will continue to be available till the end of time. There will just not be any NEW updates for XP. I just installed XP on an old computer 2 days ago and ran all of 142 Windows Updates.
As for your current installation, try running a Clean Boot. If this works then add one startup item at a time, restarting each time till the computer becomes unresponsive, then you know what the problematic program is.
Also, go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter, in the command prompt type a Y for Yes and reboot the computer. Check Disk will go thorough 5 stages and takes some time. It will check your HDD for integirty.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Do all the above first. Next, update Java and Flash. If no success, reinstall FF. If still bad see: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-124715.html
You should be using IE V8.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

After following the recommendations above:

Please run TFC by following this guide here:

How to use Temporary File Cleaner (TFC) | Tech Support Forum
Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

OS: Win 7 64Bit Ultimate; Linux Ubuntu 14.04; Linux Mint Cinnamon 17; MS Srv 2K3, 2K8, XP SP3 Oracle VM.

Send a message via Skype™ to BosPatrollie

If all above mentioned failed, prior to reloading your whole machine, consider creating a new user profile.

I am new to TSF, so I am not sure if there are any articles which could guide you through creating a new user profile ... I'll scan around and if I find one, I'll post the link for it, otherwise I'll talk through the process.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
First off, All updates are available for Windows XP and will continue to be available till the end of time. There will just not be any NEW updates for XP. I just installed XP on an old computer 2 days ago and ran all of 142 Windows Updates.
As for your current installation, try running a Clean Boot. If this works then add one startup item at a time, restarting each time till the computer becomes unresponsive, then you know what the problematic program is.
Also, go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter, in the command prompt type a Y for Yes and reboot the computer. Check Disk will go thorough 5 stages and takes some time. It will check your HDD for integirty.
You should also check the hard drive for physical failures in conjunction chkdsk.

1. Download Seatools from my signature and burn it to a CD as an .iso. If you need a program you can also download and install ImagBurn from my signature (below).

2. Once you have burned the CD properly, boot your PC from it (usually f12 will give you boot options. If you need help let us know.

3. Run a Long test

Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

OS: Win 7 64Bit Ultimate; Linux Ubuntu 14.04; Linux Mint Cinnamon 17; MS Srv 2K3, 2K8, XP SP3 Oracle VM.

Send a message via Skype™ to BosPatrollie

Here is a link to a MS KB Article for Windows XP - it differs for Win 7. If you need clarity on any of the steps, feel free to ask.

Note: Is the account you log onto the machine with one with Admin privileges?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

Since a week or so everytime I try to boot up a window shows up in the middle of the screen showing Internet Explorer script error. I have to get rid of it by clicking Yes/No options or the X button. I have to do it twice before the computer will finish booting up. I do not use Internet Explorer. Any suggestion to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

shafiahmed
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Did you do any of the many things already recommended? Particularly is Java up to date?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

Previously I posted a question about IE Script error window popping up at boot up and also other times when I try to get on the internet using Firefox.How can I get rid of this annoying IE script error window?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Rather than getting rid of the window, try solving the problem: How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer

Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Please also confirm if you have attempted any of the aforementioned suggestions.
Closed Thread