Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Svchost.exe Question

This is a discussion on Svchost.exe Question within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK. I boot my computer up and it loads all the systems. This includes about 5 svchost.exe files. Now when

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

OK. I boot my computer up and it loads all the systems. This includes about 5 svchost.exe files.

Now when I connect to the internet the CPU usage goes up on one of them and stays there for 30 seconds or so and then goes back down to intermittent usage. This happens when I connect to my Hotspot on my phone.

It seems to slow the connecting process down considerably.

Now I can kill that process and everything still connects as normal, but much faster.

Why is that svchost being activated if it really doesn't need to be used to make and hold the connection.

I routinely kill this process after a fresh boot. It will stay that way until I reboot. Just curious at why this host is being activated when it is clearly unnecessary. Trojan? Malware? Just a system oddity?

Win XP Pentium DuoCore 1.8GHz 2.5GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Have a read through this.......

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks, but it really didn't tell me much. I use Process Explorer to look at this. Just curious why it is running when it clearly isn't needed. That's why I'm thinking something more sinister might be afoot.

The only thing I haven't looked to see if the exe file is somewhere besides the Winsys32 directory. I'll look now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Here are the search results. I don't see anything off.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Leo, I know I don't have to tell you this, but your processor is ancient and could be connected to your difficulty.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Each instance of svchost.exe hosts one or more services. Without knowing which services the instance in question is hosting it is very difficult to say why it is doing what it is.

Process Explorer will tell you this in the process properties.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Leo, I know I don't have to tell you this, but your processor is ancient and could be connected to your difficulty.
Ya, you're not telling me anything I didn't know already Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 is the best I have.

It's not really a difficulty, it's just a question. As soon as I connect with my hotspot through my phone one of the svchosts ratchets up the CPU. If I just let it be in 8-10 seconds the internet connects. But if I kill the process it connects nearly instantly. So now as a normal practice. If I see the svchost doing it's thing when I connect I'll kill the process. Nothing seems to be affected when I do this other then the internet connects faster.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Each instance of svchost.exe hosts one or more services. Without knowing which services the instance in question is hosting it is very difficult to say why it is doing what it is.

Process Explorer will tell you this in the process properties.
I'll see if I can remember to look at the properties of the particular svchost after I do a boot. Might be a while, might not.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #9
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

I'll put my money on BITS service. MS silently installing updates, there was an uproar when XP was mainstream, Microsoft updated the Update service to enable background updating and low priority .NET compiling it caused high CPU and memory usage.
Closed Thread