Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Stuck at login screen, password disappears

This is a discussion on Stuck at login screen, password disappears within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there, new here and need some help. Here's what happened: I opened internet explorer and typed in a google

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #1

Confused

Hey there, new here and need some help. Here's what happened:

I opened internet explorer and typed in a google search and hit enter and it popped up a new instance of iexplorer instead of just searching in the current window as usual. Then, links I clicked on opened new windows which is not the usual setting. When I clicked in the middle of text on a web page it would highlight everything. Strange little things like that.

So, I clicked start > Turn Off > Restart and nothing happened; it just went back to the desktop. Pushed the Windows key and it wouldn't open the start menu. Finally I had to do a hard shut-off.

I waited a minute and booted the computer back up when it stopped at the login/password screen as usual. I typed the password and hit the Enter key and it just deleted the password and stayed on the page. So, I retyped it and clicked with the mouse on the green arrow button with the same result. Laptop built in mouse button did the same thing. Eventually it just froze entirely and I could not even type in the password box. Also, the little help icon on this screen would not bring anything up; it's like all the keys got remapped to different functions.

The only recent updates were the automatic Windows updates upon shutdown earlier today and the comp worked fine after booting up after that the first time.

Any thoughts?

I'm on a Dell laptop with XP Home.

Thanks

EDIT: I hard shut down the comp again and let it sit for about 15 min. Booted back up and it's functioning normally. I'm still afraid it will happen again though so any input will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread