Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Stuck at Boot menu options; cannot load win xp without pressing any key.

This is a discussion on Stuck at Boot menu options; cannot load win xp without pressing any key. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello to anyone interested to help! Contest Prior to the issue The notebook on switching on the power button would

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello to anyone interested to help!

Contest Prior to the issue

The notebook on switching on the power button would load windows directly to the desktop. No keys are to depressed (other than the power button) to boot to the desktop.

Lately, due to a power surge, my notebook's screen became impaired and blurred, while mending the same, the hard disk drive failed due to some component glitch in the pcb, had to replace the same and loaded the OS from a backup image that was backed up prior to the mishap.

The issue

While booting after the mishap the set would load till the boot options and wait indefinitely until a any key is depressed to load the windows to the desktop. Moreover, the Boot.ini file is lacking in the C:\ drive where the OS resides, yet the OS loads. I have meticulously ticked show all hidden folders and files in the folder option of windows explorer. While saving the Boot.ini file from Control panel \system \Advance tab \ Start up and recovery \ System start up\ Default operating sys \ Edit : It prompts to save the new Boot.ini file to the root folder in C:\ by replacing the old file.

Steps taken to correct the issue but in vain

1) Entered in to the Bios and rendered the hard drive as the primary preference to boot from. F10 & F12 function key delay set to 5 sec. No other parameter can be altered in boot options availabe. Yet the issue persits

2) Endeavoured to rebuild the Boot.ini from recovery console through repair by starting enter setup through recovery CD. It added the already existing OS loader as a second choice option and the depression of any key was mandatory to load the windows to desktop after boot choices.

3) Had reduced the boot loader time to 0 sec but was in vain

4) Ran Anti Virus software Avira, Anti spy ware Super anti spyware, Anti malware malwarebytes Anti malware. to remove any viruses, Trojans and malicious programs that fidget and tinker with the OS. None corrected the issue.

5) Ran out of options and taking assistance from this forum for the resolution of this blemish.

My System OS and the notebook make

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Sevice pack 3 Version 2002
Notebook: HP compaq Pressario due to damaged mother board had to change the same to H Pavillion DV6838NR
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU T7700
RAM: 4Gb RAM Two 2 Gb sticks.
Bios Version:

Resolution or Aim

When switching on the power button, booting or loading the OS directly to the desktop is sought and boot.ini in the root foder C:\ remains occult, rendering it visible is the second task. Any suggestions or recommendation for the resolution of this crises are greatly appreciated and welcome.

Regards,
alza68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot the computer into Windows
Go to Start/Run and type msconfig and press enter.
Go to the Boot.ini tab click Check All Boot Paths. (see attached)
It should come back saying there is a path that is not being used, would you like to remove it. Click Yes, Reboot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows-safe-mode_06.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	322142  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Spunk.funk for considering my question and replying. I had earlier followed the steps and found no errors. However, had re-initiated the steps after your advice and found no errors either. Am posting the image if the forums html writer can display the same in the browser.

The above image is what I receive after pressing Check All boot paths . Thank you again for replying but the image vividly indicates no errors either.

Oh! by the way if it has any significance my Bios Version: F.59

alza68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

There appears to be nothing wrong with the boot.ini file, but you can recreate it just to be thorough.

You have configured a timeout of 7 seconds as appears on the screenshot. Set that to zero and apply the changes since XP is the only OS on that system.

You may also want to fix the mbr of the new disk. Do this after you've replaced the boot.ini file with a new one. Next, repair the MBR as descriped here. The boot.ini file is not only a hidden file, but also a protected system file. To make it visible, you need to also enable the viewing of protected system files, not just hidden files. Do this only to confirm its presence in the root of C:.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Greetings Stancestans,

Thank you for considering my query and your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
There appears to be nothing wrong with the boot.ini file, but you can recreate it just to be thorough.

Quote:
Had recreated this by 2) Endeavoured to rebuild the Boot.ini from recovery console through repair by starting enter setup through recovery CD. It added the already existing OS loader as a second choice option and the depression of any key was mandatory to load the windows to desktop after boot choices. quote from my first message steps taken to counter the issue Para 2
You have configured a timeout of 7 seconds as appears on the screenshot. Set that to zero and apply the changes since XP is the only OS on that system.

Quote:
Hmmm...! I did try this step as well, 3) Had reduced the boot loader time to 0 sec but was in vain, quote from my first message steps taken to counter the issue Para 3.
You may also want to fix the mbr of the new disk.

Quote:
Frankly, I have not tried this measure due to the lack of knowledge of the DOS commands for Master Boot Record.
Do this after you've replaced the boot.ini file with a new one.

Quote:
I made an effort to replace the boot.ini file from the system Tab in the control panel, the one I had forgotten to mention in the measures to counter the issue. Control Panel\ System properties\ Advance Tab\ Start Up and Recovery\ Settings\ System startup\Edit\ Save as in Root C:\ gave me an option likewise, " Replace the existing boot.ini file" although the same lay invisible. After I had meticulously ticked the Show Hidden files and folder and Display the contents of the system folders
Next, repair the MBR as descriped here.

Quote:
It might require a few days to be acquainted with the DOS Commands of the MBR performed through recovery console. Shall post again after conducting those steps in repair MBR.
The boot.ini file is not only a hidden file, but also a protected system file. To make it visible, you need to also enable the viewing of protected system files, not just hidden files.

Do you mean this the first arrow

and I see no Boot.ini in my Root C:\

Shall post after repairing MBR as not familiar with the commands associated.

alza68
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You should find the info needed here https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alza68 View Post
Greetings Stancestans,

Thank you for considering my query and your time

Shall post after repairing MBR as not familiar with the commands associated.

alza68
I mean the last visible row in your screenshot that says "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". Uncheck that to enable viewing of system files. You will get a prompt, respond to it accordingly.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Greetings Stancestans,

Thank you for your precious time and assistance, You are a genius.

Quote:
I mean the last visible row in your screenshot that says "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". Un-check that to enable viewing of system files. You will get a prompt, respond to it accordingly.
The above steps partially resolved my problem. I can now view my Boot.ini file in the Root folder C:\ . Thank you again for this piece of information, was at the end of my thither.

As for the repair of MBR, a preparation of a day or two is required to execute the steps as there was a word of caution it might destroy partitions and tables and occasionally render the booting invariably futile.

alza68
Old 11-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Greetings Joeten

Thank you for the valuable information provided by the link.

alza68
Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You are welcome.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
Registered Member

Greetings to all, especially those who made an effort to help and respond.

My computer has started to boot directly from the power button to the desktop without an indefinite delay at the boot choice. Frankly, I have not conducted the procedure for Fix MBR from the recovery disk. The response may turn to be a bit odd and perplexing. Had accidentally booted the notebook from my battery without connecting the set to the external power source. It indicated the boot options for a few seconds and then loaded the windows automatically. From thence, either booting the set from battery or power source would load the windows without a mandatory press of any key.

Thank you again to all those who helped me.

alza689
Old 11-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Glad you got it sorted, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.