Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange Task Manager issue

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Coolfreak 
#1 ·
I have a machine where periodically the task manager will become unusable. The machine doesn't lock up completely, but the task manager shows no tabs and shows no processes or applications. When I reboot the machine the issue disappears, but after a period of time the issue reappears. The machine is running XP SP3 and is up to date on windows updates. There is no evidence of malware on the machine. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Run chkdsk. (Report results)

System File corruption due to heat or bad power?
Speedfan for temps, BIOS reports voltages.
Is the CPU/video fan clogged with dust? Good thermal compound applied?

MSCONFIG, turn off all Startups and non-MS Services and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's a 3rd Party App that's causing it.

Run Rootkit Revealer, just in case you have something really exotic (and not detectable).

#3 ·
Run the System File Checker
Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:
sfc /scannow ( sfc if not recognized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)
This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD. Note that you'll need a CD with the same version of Windows as the one that's installed on your computer, i.e. you'll need an XP Home SP2 install CD if you have XP Home updated with service pack 2. If your XP install CD doesn't have service pack 2 you can create an XP SP2 CD using the following method :
Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.