Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Strange and Wavy sound

This is a discussion on Strange and Wavy sound within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, i wasn't sure where to put this thread. So if you feel like it should be moved, be my

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, i wasn't sure where to put this thread. So if you feel like it should be moved, be my guest.

Anyway, i reformated my computer and reinstalled Windows XP today. As usual i started off by installing all the drivers and fixed all settings. Everything went very smooth until i wanted to listen to some music. I played a song, but it didn't sound right. It was very wavy, and the singing was almost completely muffled out. Some notes didn't work right and it was just strange in general.

So to try out the sound i went to youtube. It was the same here. The sound, especially when someone spoke, was very choppy and wavy. I really don't know what causes this. The only thing i could think of is that it could be the drivers. But i've installed them, and i've never had this problem after a reformat before. I also doubt that the speakers are broken since i didn't have the problem earlier today, before the reformat.

I hope someone can provide a good and fast answer. Thanks!
/Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi make and model of the computer please or if a custom build the make and model of the motherboard,if you have a seperate sound card please list it's make and model also,have you checked in device manager for any error flags either a yellow ! or red X

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi make and model of the computer please or if a custom build the make and model of the motherboard,if you have a seperate sound card please list it's make and model also,have you checked in device manager for any error flags either a yellow ! or red X
Hey, i have a custom build with an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. Checked the device manager, everything looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi check the settings in soundmax

Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi check the settings in soundmax
I've checked them, and i notice nothing out of the ordinary. Is there anything special i should look for?

Edit: I fiddled around with the settings for a while, and there was some DTS Neo:PC setting that was messing with me. It was set to cinema, but should've been on music. I don't know. Anyway, it works now. Thanks anyway! =)
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi so nothing is muted or checked that should not be then you may want to try reinstalling the driver you will get it from the asus support site for your mobo, socket am2 then the model number, put it in the dropdowns on the right of the page then select your os the first driver on the audio list then as per here https://www.ehow.com/how_4691593_rein...indows-xp.html
asus here https://support.asus.com/

Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you for the help Joeten, i've resolved the issue now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4xx0r View Post
I fiddled around with the settings for a while, and there was some DTS Neo:PC setting that was messing with me. It was set to cinema, but should've been on music. I don't know. Anyway, it works now. Thanks anyway! =)
Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Oh sorry for some reason I missed that glad your sorted

Closed Thread