Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

stand by buttom greyed out ???

This is a discussion on stand by buttom greyed out ??? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. my stand by button greyed out in window XP pro ..any suggestion how can i take it back

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

my stand by button greyed out in window XP pro ..any suggestion how can i take it back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindudhindsa View Post
my stand by button greyed out in window XP pro ..any suggestion how can i take it back

G'Day,

Do you have SP2 (service Pack 2) installed on this machine?

Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

yes dave..its with service pack 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Hi again bindudhindsa,

You might like to try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD).

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully).

Please post back with the result, or if there are any further queries/concerns.

Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Closed Thread