Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Spooler Spoofin'?

This is a discussion on Spooler Spoofin'? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Dimension 9100 XP Pro SP3 I'm hoping someone might have an idea why this notice keeps popping up. For

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Dell Dimension 9100
XP Pro SP3

I'm hoping someone might have an idea why this notice keeps popping up. For the past week, it shows up most every time I boot. All I know about it is that 'Spooler' somehow involves the printer. I haven't had a printer connected to this computer for 2 or 3 months.

I will add that since this started, the computer has gotten slow, overall, but extremely slow making Internet connections. Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, Eset on line, Avast and a couple others don't find any problems.

Another thing that started at about the same time is, YouTube videos slow down and sometimes stop. Before, a video would play or hang and stop. I have never had a YT video gradually slow down and then stop.

When I close this notice, I get a another, related notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spooler.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	274722   Click image for larger version

Name:	spool 2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	274730  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Most spooler failures are caused when leftover print drivers corrupt the memory of
the process.
First go to Start/Printers and Faxes
  1. Open the Printers (Printers and Faxes on Windows XP) folder
  2. delete all of the printers, If you have any left.
  3. click File, Server Properties
  4. select the Drivers tab
  5. for each entry:
    1. select the entry
    2. click Remove
Now download and run this program which removes all previous Printer drivers:

cleanspl.exe – Print Spooler Cleaner
  • When you run it, it asks you if you want to remove some things that are actually delivered (and installed by default) with Windows. In most cases, you should answer No to the corresponding prompts (you don't want to remove the Standard TCP/IP Port or the BJ Language Monitor).
Lastly, go to Start/Run and type services.msc scroll down to Printer Spooler service. Change the Startup type to Automatic, if it isn't already, and Start the Services.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I followed the instructions. On reboot, I got the message, again. On second and third reboot, the message did no appear. I assume that problem is fixed.

As for the slow computer and rough video playing, I can open new threads unless you want to handle them here. In case you do...

Just now, I was using VLC to play a .flac file stored on an ext HD. The file was playing smoothly. I typed the name of the file in Google desk bar as I wanted to go online and get the lyrics for the song. After typing the name of the song, I hit the Enter icon. Immediately, the song playing on VLC became so garbled it was unintelligible for a few seconds and then stopped playing all together.

While I was on the Internet getting the lyrics, I saw an ad for the song on YouTube. I clicked the ad and YouTube started playing the song. It played OK for a few seconds and then got slower and slower. It eventually started playing at the right speed.

I seem to have a bug that effects both video playing and Internet connections. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for bugs? I could do a reinstall, but I wouldn't learn anything new about bugs by doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press Enter. Put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing or corrupted System files.
After that, check your HDD for corruption. Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. In the Command Prompt, type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will go through 5 stages at next bootup and will take a long while.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I ran scannow and chkdsk. chkdsk did find and correct a few files. The machine is worse than ever. From a cold start, it takes 5 minutes to get to my mail. Everything is slow and many things hang.

I would love to tough this out and get at the root of the problem. It would be a learning experience for me. But with three recent HDD failures on other machines, at the present, I am relying heavily on this DD9100 XP.

I have decided to reinstall Windows. Since XP does not have Windows old, I have been saving my documents on an Ext HDD. I would like to do it differently this time. I want to save everything I can. Can I just copy C drive to the Ext HDD and sort it all out after I reinstall Windows?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If Check Disk fixed some problems, and it is worse, then your HDD is beginning to fail.
There are several files you cannot copy while booted into Windows. There are many Hidden Files, You cannot copy Windows files that are in use. Windows will not work if you copy it to an external drive. If you copy any programs, they will not work because they will not have any access to the Windows Registry. So, that is a bad idea.
All you should be concerned with is the the C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\My Documents (which includes My Pictures, My Music etc) Desktop, and Favorites. Just copy these. And if you have any files you created in the C: drive for file storage.
If you are going to use this HDD, When you boot off of the Windows XP CD get to the drive you are going to install Windows on, do a Full Format of the drive, not a Quick Format. This should take a while, if it takes many, many hours, then the drive is going bad and it should be replaced.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

OK. I had already started on documents. I copied them to the EXT HDD. Then when I started to copy Desktop, it included a copy of documents too. So, I am confused. That's why I asked about copying 'C'. Now , I see how that would be a bad idea. I was just hoping to save all program files, updates, etc. How do I copy Desktop without getting duplicate documents?

I think you are right about the HDD going bad. It does make some strange sounds. A new HDD is next on the list.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

This happens a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	This Happens A Lot.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	275921  
Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Open your external drive, minimize the drive so that it only takes up half the screen on the right. Now right click your Start button and Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName. Minimize this so this windows takes up the other half of the screen on the left. Now you should be able to see the files on the C: drive and files on your External drive.
Now Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste My Documents folder to the External drive. If you open up This folder on the external, it should should only have My Pictures, My Music and Documents in it, and any other folders you created.
Now, go back over to the C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName. there is a separate file for Desktop and a separate file for Favorites That is not in My Documents. Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste this to the External, now you should just have 3 yellow folders on the External: My Documents, Desktop and Favorites. If you open up My Documents and there is Another folder called Desktop, then Compare this folder with the one on C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Desktop, this folder is the actual folder where the icons you see on your actual desktop reside. Move any files you want to keep to the Desktop Folder in My Document on the Root of the External folder called Desktop.
If they are moved to the C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Desktop folder, they will appear as icons on your desktop.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As for your stuttering image, this is caused by your computer thinking. This can be because you do not have enough RAM to do more then one thing, or the processor is very slow etc.
Right click the My Computer icon and choose Properties, in System Properties window this will tell you what your version of XP you have and what Service Pack (eg) you should have SP3. It will also tell you the processor speed and the amount of Physical Memory (RAM) If you have less then 1GB (eg) 512MB, or 256MB then that is why it is stuttering. You should update the RAM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SystemPropertiesXP.png
Views:	227
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	275929  
Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

I know this could be a lot better, and I had planned to add more RAM, but is it bad enough to cause the stuttering?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	System Information.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	275937  
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

The desktop I got following the path you gave is not my actual/current desktop. I will just drag and drop everything from the Desktop folder (Folders-Desktop) except My Documents and 'C'. Unless there's some reason I shouldn't.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

One question before I start the reinstallation. You suggested I do a full, (rather than quick) format on the drive to which Windows will be installed.
I thought the installation itself formatted the drive. Does it not? Will I be asked to format and be given the option to do a full format?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My RAM is like this

slot 1 DDR2 512 MB

slot 2 DDR2 256 MB

slot 3 DDR2 512 MB

slot 4 DDR2 256 MB

I have 2 DDR2 512 MB that I took from my Dell XPS410 Vista Home when I upgraded the memory on it. Should the two sticks work OK as a replacement in the two slots where the 256 sticks are now?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your computer has a good amount of RAM for XP, if you had Windows 7 32 bit you would need at least 2GB, 64bit would need at least 4GB. Your single P4 processor at 3GHz is also very good for XP. You can replace the 2 X 256 MB sticks with your 2 X 512MB to boost it up.
When you start the install, remove your USB HDD and any other USB Mass storage devices, Flash Drive etc. Then boot off of the XP CD, it starts with a Blue type screen and it loads a lot of drivers. After this completes, it says, Welcome to the XP installation, once you go next, it searches for previous Windows installations. This will show you the partitions on the HDD (if you have more then one) and show you the C:\Windows partition. If you are safely backed up, Delete All Partitions on the HDD until the drive is all Unallocated Space. Then Create One Large partition that takes up the Whole Drive. It will ask do you want to Format (Quick) or just a Format. A Quick format is for drives that are brand new or that you know are in good shape. If you do the standard Format, it will check the HDD for Bad Sectors. This will take a long time, because it has to go through the drive sector by sector. The more bad sectors you have the longer it will take, but once it finishes, it will reassure you that the drive has no problems, and then it will automatically start installing XP. If you do a Quick format, it will not mark the bad sectors, and it may store files on them and those files will be corrupted. If the Full format takes over night, then that drive has too many bad sectors and should be replaced.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

I started reinstalling Windows before I got your reply #15. Your button was not green. I thought you were off for the night and the computer had almost come to a complete standstill.

I completed the re installation and the computer is running like brand new. There is a couple of things I would like to go over with you, though.

I do believe the HDD is not healthy. Normally, I don't hear it making any sounds, but when it revs up as it does at times during an installation, I hear what I think is the arm clicking. I can test it's health if you recommend a software. Even if it tests OK, I will still replace it soon because it's just 150GB.

I did a full format. I timed it and it took 55 minutes. Does that mean there is a good chance there are no bad sectors?

I made notes of the installation as it progressed and I made a mistake. I make this mistake every time I reinstall Windows XP. I can't figure out just where or what I'm doing wrong.

After the formatting is complete, Installation Setup copies files to the Windows Installation folder. This takes about 5 minutes. When finished, I get a notice to remove floppy disk, if present, from drive. I don't have a floppy disk drive, so I ignore this notice. (I do leave the installation CD in the optical drive).

The next step is to reboot the computer. I can reboot the computer or allow it to reboot itself. I let it reboot itself.

Next is a black screen with 'Press any key'.
Setup is loading files.
Setup is starting Windows.
Welcome to setup. Press Enter.
Licensing Agreement press F8
'C' is highlighted. Press enter.

Here is where I get a warning that a Windows folder already exists that may contain a Windows installation. The only folder it could contain is the Windows Installation folder just created.

If I want to use 'C' I have no choice but to format again, and I do.

After this second format, Setup copies files to the Installation folder. After this, I am asked to insert the Installation CD and to press OK. This time the actual Windows Installation begins.

I go through this every time. I thought maybe it was because I left the CD in the drive when it asked me to remove floppy disk, if present. I don't see how it could be that, though. The installation monologue makes a clear distinction between a floppy disk and a CD.

I was never asked to remove the CD. I must have after the second format or after the Setup copies files to the Installation folder after the second format. Apparently, Windows at some point expects you to remove the CD because later, Windows asks you to insert the CD and press OK.

Since Windows never specifically asks you to remove the CD, when is the exact time it should be removed? I'm assuming not removing the CD at the proper time is why I always go through 2 formats.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
After the formatting is complete, Installation Setup copies files to the Windows Installation folder. This takes about 5 minutes. When finished, I get a notice to remove floppy disk, if present, from drive. I don't have a floppy disk drive, so I ignore this notice. (I do leave the installation CD in the optical drive).
The next step is to reboot the computer. I can reboot the computer or allow it to reboot itself. I let it reboot itself.
Next is a black screen with 'Press any key'.
Once the Setup files are installed, and it reboots the computer, it will ask you again to press any key to Boot from CD. Do NOT press any keys. If you do you boot from the CD not the HDD and you start the install process again even though you have already created a partition and copied files to create a Windows Partition. If you don't press a key, the computer boots from the HDD instead and continues with the Windows XP installation.
I suggest starting over so you don't have two Windows folders on your C: drive.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you for clearly pointing out the consequences/options that Microsoft didn't. (No doubt, I will be reinstalling XP again at some point, and you have made the process much easier. Your reply will be added to the installation notes I have made).

I still don't know when to remove the CD as I am not asked to remove it, but am later asked to (re) insert it and press OK.

I checked my C: drive. I have just one Windows folder.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Here are the steps from beginning to end.
1. Put CD in and boot computer, if CD drive is set to first boot device you will see Press Any Key To Boot from CD/DVD. Now press any key
2. The computer boots to the CD and starts to load files on a Blue type screen.
3. You then see Welcome to Setup, press Enter
4. Press F8 for License Agreement
5. It searches for previous Windows installations. If you have a blank drive, you skip the next few steps. If Windows was previously installed, it shows the C:\Windows partition and any other partitions installed.
6. To do a Clean install choose to Delete the C:\ Windows partition, press L to confirm.
7. Now press C to create a partition. It shows the full drive size, if you want to create more then one partition you can do that here, or leave it as one large partition
8. Now it asks if you want to do a Format (Quick) or the standard Format. If you are confident the drive is good, or is a new drive, you can do a Quick Format. If you want to check for bad sectors, do a standard format. If you didn't Delete the partition, then it will ask if you want to keep the file system as is, and just install Windows. It's best to do a Clean install.
9. After formatting it loads more files.
10 After loading the files it asks you to remove any floppy etc and it will restart. Do not remove the CD
11. When it restarts the Bios will ask if you want to boot from the CD again Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD. Do not press any key
12. the Bios goes to the next Boot device, the HDD and boots from that. The Windows XP Setup starts. there is a time counter in the bottom counting down the minutes from 39 minutes to 0.
13. Set your Network Settings, Administrator password etc.
14. After the last minute has been reached it reboots one last time. Here you can take out the CD before the computer restarts, or leave it in just don't press Any Key again.
15. It now will boot into Windows XP as you are used to seeing it. If you haven't removed the CD already, you can now remove it.