Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Sound/Video Problems

This is a discussion on Sound/Video Problems within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not sure which category to place my problem hence 'sound/video' problem. My problem is that when I play a

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm not sure which category to place my problem hence 'sound/video' problem. My problem is that when I play a video clip - say from YouTube - it slows down and the sound slurs. I've updated the drivers for my sound card (Radeon Series 9200) but the problem still persists.

My OS is XP Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

What kind of system do you have? i.e. CPU, Memory and Windows Service Pack. And any other details, like what web browser you use. Do you have the latest version of Flashplayer?

It helps to have this so folks can help you debug your problem.

I'd be curious to know what your CPU and Memory usage is like when you play videos.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have any toolbars installed on the current browser you are using?

If so uninstall them. Toolsbars some have spyware adware, and can cause browser problems also extra RAM being used.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Do you have any toolbars installed on the current browser you are using?

If so uninstall them. Toolsbars some have spyware adware, and can cause browser problems also extra RAM being used.
My current browser is Goggle Chrome. I have been using it for the past 3 years with no problems like this before. And I don't have any toolbars installed on it. Hate them anyway
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurulounge View Post
What kind of system do you have? i.e. CPU, Memory and Windows Service Pack. And any other details, like what web browser you use. Do you have the latest version of Flashplayer?

It helps to have this so folks can help you debug your problem.

I'd be curious to know what your CPU and Memory usage is like when you play videos.

Jeff
CPU - AMD Sempron 3000+
Memory - 1GB
Free Physical Memory - 111.45MB (11%)
Browser - Google Chrome

I have tried to download the latest Flashplayer but for some reason it won't download.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Have you tried a different browser? Chrome usually adds the most recent Flash Player if you have the most recent version of Chrome.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

Oh... and to make things more "kosher"... have you run a "malware" scan on your computer? Preferably with "Malwarebytes - Antimalware" (google it)... Download the free version and run a scan if you can.

If you cannot run a scan for some reason, download it, save the download someplace, then boot to SAFE MODE and install it there and run the scan... Some malware is designed to detect some anti-malware software and disable it.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 09-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurulounge View Post
Oh... and to make things more "kosher"... have you run a "malware" scan on your computer? Preferably with "Malwarebytes - Antimalware" (google it)... Download the free version and run a scan if you can.

If you cannot run a scan for some reason, download it, save the download someplace, then boot to SAFE MODE and install it there and run the scan... Some malware is designed to detect some anti-malware software and disable it.

Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks for the advice. Will try both suggestions when I get the chance and let you know the results.

Tony
Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

not a computer expert but if nothin else wont work u can try a restore point if possible.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

The Semprons are getting a bit long in the tooth, but that system should still be enough to play videos. (My home system is an OC'ed Athlon 2100+ w/ 512MB if it makes you feel any better... ;) ) Doing the MalwareBytes scan is a good idea. It sounds like something is either keeping your hard disk busy or is taking up your bandwidth. Most likely a virus/malware. It could also be something running amok with the hard drive, like SearchIndexer.
Closed Thread