Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] XP Pro Repair Install - Getting "The file 'Asms' on Win XP Pro CD" is needed

11K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Geekgirl 
#1 ·
[SOLVED] XP Pro Repair Install - Getting "The file 'Asms' on Win XP Pro CD" is needed

There's a bit of a back story here...don't know if it'll help but it'll show how I got here.
First started with trying to install SP3 and quite a few updates. I downloaded them, installed them, and on restart got the stop 0x24 code. I did some research and found a way to remove SP3 (through Recovery Console I think) so I did that and then got stop 0x8e code with "SASKUTIL.SYS". Again did some research found out it had to do with Superantispyware, so I disabled that file in Safe Mode and my pc went back to working, although start up was a bit slow, I then uninstalled Superantispyware :(

Second I started removing most of the updates that had installed along with SP3. I figured they were the cause of my pc starting up slower. Also Windows Media Player 9 wasn't working now (something about it not being properly installed I think...not sure exactly what came up, didn't write it down). So I'm going through the updates and removing them one by one and uninstalled this one update(didn't write it down and am now kicking myself), after unistalling it my external hard drive and mouse stopped working. The keyboard was still working and I was able to restart Windows. However on restart I got "Process1_Initialization_Failed" stop: 0x6b(0xC000007A, 0x00000008, 0x0, 0x0). I did some research on this also and didn't really find anything on my particular problem. So I ended up doing chkdsk /r. That didn't fix it, and then I decided to try a repair install, which I saw was suggested as a possible fix, thinking that would probably fix what I did when I uninstalled that one update. And that brings me to where I am now.

I'm stuck at that asms file prompt with no way past it. Selecting any of the drives/options it offers me and selecting OK doesn't do anything.
I've tried the registry fix that microsoft suggested, didn't work.
I've tried shift+F10 and typing the command to bring up the system info to see if the cd/dvd drive was working(it was). didn't work.
I've changed the boot order to hard disk first, that didn't work.
I've copied the I386 folder from the install disk to a blank cd and tried using that, that didn't work either.
I don't know what else to do, I haven't seen any other solutions anywhere. The only ones I've seen deal with hardware but I haven't added any new hardware to comp since the last time I installed XP Pro, which was about 4 years ago.
So can anyone haaaaalp me? How do I get past this? Will I have to do a new install of XP and if I do, how can I get files off of my pc before I do. Any info and help would be super!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.