Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Wireless Device Switch greyed out

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Wireless Device Switch greyed out within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I'm using a sony Vaio and the wireless and bluetooth have stopped working. The box on the bottom right

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello
I'm using a sony Vaio and the wireless and bluetooth have stopped working.
The box on the bottom right of the screen for dealing with wireless device switch says "OFF" when I click it, it says I need to switch to either 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz as using both is making my connection unstable. (I'm paraphrasing)

I can't switch because I have no idea how to, and I can't alter the settings in the dialogue box as the checkboxes (bluetooth and wifi) are greyed out. What do I do?

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Enthusiast

The change you need to make is in your router configuration settings which you can access by typing your router's IP address into the address-bar of any web browser.
The IP address is typically either https://192.168.1.1 or https://192.168.0.1

Once in your router's configuration page, open wireless settings and set it to 802.11b/g, not 802.11a
Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
TSF Emeritus

Sorry Pip22 but that doesn't sound right.

Router can be dual band. Its the vaio that decides which it uses. The change should take place on the vaio.

Annelisatkinson you can go to Device manager and disable the bluetooth adapter for a start.

Next we need to find the wifi control center. I would suspect you will find it in Control Panel. What do you see there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi,
Thanks, I cannot disable the bluetooth device from the device manager, there is no option for this, it just says Bluetooth device - Bluetooth bus enumerator - and then ' this device is working properly' and driver details.
The control panel there is wireless network set up wizard, or network connections, internet options.. There is Vaio Control center.
(I am Anneliseatkinson the website didn't like my login details so I had to reregister!)
Thank you for your help
Old 05-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

OK so, it turns out there is a small switch on the front edge of the laptop that turns off and on the wireless!!! I turned it on, and now I can change the frequency and the boxes are not greyed out. It's my dad's laptop so I didnt know this button existed!
Ha!
Thanks for your help anyway!
Closed Thread