Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] USB External Storage Devices not working

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] USB External Storage Devices not working within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After I upgraded from WIN98 to XP SP#2 and then SP#3 I canít get any of my USB connected flash

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #1

After I upgraded from WIN98 to XP SP#2 and then SP#3 I canít get any of my USB connected flash storage drives to work on my Dell Opitplex GX1p PC. I have tried my San Disk Cruser Micro 1GB, and my Cruser Mini 1GB, and tried my Western Digital (WD) Passport external 160GB hard drive, and nothing works. These external drives all work on other computers in my home.

My old Dell Opitplex PC is currently running XP Home SP#3, has four USB ports, two are legacy (V1.0 -1.1) and two are new Belkin USB 2.0 PCI ports. All of these ports will recognize both Cruser flash drives as "new hardware", and will recognize my WD Passport external 160GB hard drive, but even though I have upgraded to SP#3 the drivers for this devices do not load.

Under "My Computer", Device Manager, Properties I can see:

Universal Bus Serial Controllers, but the USB Mass Storage Device does not show up as "installed" as it does in one of my other home PCs (Gateway XP Pro). The Dell Opitplex GX1p Device Manager with XP Home does show other entries, such as 4 versions of USB Root Hub, 2 versions of NEC PCI to USB Host Controller, one version of Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, and new hard ware installed successfully this week, shows up as Belkin USB 2 High Speed Host Controller, & USB 2 Root Hub Device.

Have tried to install updated drivers from San Disk and Western Digital that might allow any of these external flash drives to function or the WD external hard drive, but no luck getting them work. Plug & Play only goes to the first step, New Hardware detected, then I get the window to load drivers automatically, doesn't work, then load from a specific location, doesn't work either.

The same 4 USB ports will show the "plug and play" notes, and recognize a USB connected Epson scanner and a USB LinkSys Wireless G dongle that also works with no problems.

This same Dell PC was recently upgraded from WIN 98 SE to XP Home; USB devices were not used much before the upgrade.

Appreciate any help or suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

In bios there should be a setting for usb devices, is that enabled?
When you plug the drive in, does it show up in disk management?
If so you may need to initialize it.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

If the above does not work, means you could have Trojan. Sounds similiar to what happened to me. Read

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...er-366193.html

for all the juicy background.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Thanks for suggestions:
For Manic & others-- drive does show up in disk management as "Other Devices, yellow colored question mark, and Cruser Mini", and Properties show no driver installed; I do hear the audio sound when I plug in the Cruser flash drive. I have not been able to find an XP Home driver to support the Cruser; understand that drivers should have been included with XP SP #3.
Still trying to access the BIOS based on your suggestion and think that is a good possibility however, pressing F2, Delete, or ESC have so far not allowed me to access the Dell Opitplex GX1p PC bios configuration-- any ideas on how to access the bios??

For happydaze29 & others-- I am using VIPRE Sunbelt Software combo anti virus & anti malware software with all current definitions up dates-- no sign of a Trojan -- thanks for background of your interesting experience.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #5

I am still working to find a fix to my problem of not being able to get any my external USB flash drives, or my external hard drive to work, and I just FOUND A CLUE; under System Information, System Summary, Components, Problem Devices, I found the following:
“NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node PNP Device ID: ROOT\NTAPM\0000 22 ”
I have read that there is a way to remove a “problem device” by using the Power Management option (in BIOS) to disable it.

I don’t have much experience with BIOS matters but seems that this might be a fix to my problem if I can get into the BIOS, but need some help please to get access to the BIOS; have tried hitting the Delete key from a cold start but that command does no good. I can access the "set up" by hitting F2 but don’t see a way to get into the BIOS from there. I appreciate any ideas or help to get into the BIOS please.
Reminder, I am running XP Home SP3, in a Dell OptiPlex GX1p.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

I am also fully protected by antivirus, couldn't & wouldn't pick it up as the trojan is covered by a rootkit, even booting in safe mode. You have to boot from a live CD before you can see it.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #7

Just wanted to let you all know that the problem has now been solved. The solution required installing a USB driver that was (apparently) not available, or not accessible on the XP Home installation CD I was using. Had to get the driver from another PC.
Thanks to all who gave me suggestions, including a MS Tech who may not have been tuned in to this forum.
This forum thread can be retired now.
Closed Thread