Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Outlook Express: VERY slow to open or, worse, does NOT open up at all

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Outlook Express: VERY slow to open or, worse, does NOT open up at all within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi: XP/Outlook Express Recently, Outlook Express opening up VERY slow, even worse, it does NOT open up at all. However,

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi:
XP/Outlook Express

Recently, Outlook Express opening up VERY slow, even worse, it does NOT open up at all. However, if I close and restart XP all over again, OE opens up as usual, not slow. This happens so often that it's very frustrating and puzzling me so much.

My question is;
Is there a way to open OE in normal speed?
Or, 'Is there something wrong with PC/xp?

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Don't use OE myself but on a search, came across this Inside Outlook Express - Errors, Bugs and Problems - Error Messages and this OLEXP: Outlook Express Stops Responding or Does Not Start which may help.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

How large is your Mailbox? do you have a lot of Emails (In Box, Sent Items etc), Do you Empty the Deleted Items folder regularly, or have set to automatically empty on exit? If not, archive your Emails and Empty your Deleted Items folder
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks both for the responses.

O.E. opened up after an uninstallation of Anti-Virus program. Apparently, Anti-Virus programs blocking or slow-down Internet connection.

Now, without anti-virus, I'm VERY uneasy to use Internet/XP.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

install Microsoft Security Essentials. This should bog down OE.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
install Microsoft Security Essentials. This should bog down OE.
This program DEFINITELY helps to eliminate 'bugs' built up over the time, although it's not completely perfect. Because, after all, 'Trajon' cringing on PC/XP after visiting the risky web-site.

Unlike any of those leading Anti-Virus programs, MSE however does not hold up opening up Home Page and O.E. as well, for that I feel really grateful.

However, I'm still in cautious mode not let my guard down.

Thanks for the site and time.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Have you allowed OE to compact old files as should be requested now and then? If you don't do that it will slow down because its a really old program and there were size limits on the store it can have just like older versions of Outlook have.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Have you allowed OE to compact old files as should be requested now and then? If you don't do that it will slow down because its a really old program and there were size limits on the store it can have just like older versions of Outlook have.
Thanks for your concern.

Yes, I did 'compact,' by using, File > Compact all mails

It appears to me a bit faster than before things happened. As you said, it's 'old program,' but I still love it, because unlike WLM, it's a kind of 'old school-house' I saw when I went strawberry-patch during my childhood.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

You know you can use Outlook which is almost the same, newer so it can handle more and get great junk mail filtering besides, better in my estimation than any paid program. Most users have some form of Ms Office on their systems and never take advantage of that.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread