Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Mouse and keyboard are not recognized by XP on start up

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Mouse and keyboard are not recognized by XP on start up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'll start out simple. I have been working on a computer for a friend lately. The problem was that every

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

I'll start out simple. I have been working on a computer for a friend lately. The problem was that every time it turned on it displayed the ever fearful BSOD, with the stop code 0x000000FC. This included starting it up in safe mode, normal mode, and last known good configuration. I did research and found out that the problem was the SP3 update, and through the recovery console I removed it and got XP to start up properly. And now there's a new problem that is completely stumping me.

It seems that removing SP3 has also corrupted the generic mouse and keyboard drivers. I can get to the logon screen, but that's as far as it goes. Neither the mouse nor the keyboard responds once XP has loaded. The caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock buttons do not turn on any lights in the keyboard, alt-f4 does not bring up the shutdown menu...there's just no response from either. The computer is NOT locking up. It will still shut down properly if the power button is pressed once. This happens in a normal start up, last known config start up, and safe mode start up. I have done a little experimentation with the recovery console, including taking drivers off of one PC and moving them onto the other computer. I'll admit that I have not done much, but I am at a complete loss.

SUMMARY:
1. Computer had an issue with SP3, I removed SP3 via recovery console, computer now starts up properly.
2. Computer no longer recognizes mouse or keyboard in any mode of start up, making logon impossible, seems to be missing or has corrupted generic keyboard and mouse drivers.

Anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If you have a usb keyboard and mouse handy try using tose with the ps/2 mouse and ps/2 keyboard plugged in. It sounds like the ps/2 ports are dead or more likely windows xp has dropped the ps/2 drivers for said devices. with usb devices hooked up and bios set to recognize usb devices on start up you should be able to logon to windows at which time new hardware wizard will detect ps?2 devices and install corresponding drivers then upon next boot up usb keyboard and driver will not be necessary. You can actually get by with just usb keyboard by using tab key and enter for mouse inputs is no usb mouse available, conversely if OS is not password protected a usb mouse can click you into windows and get you through new hardware wizard.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

My apologies for not mentioning that this computer has no ps/2 ports. The mouse and keyboard it currently uses are both USB, and I have tried different ports. It will recognize other hardware, but it will not do anything about the mouse or keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I've personally never dealt with a pc without ps/2 ports (they look like s-video ports). If you can boot into bios and enable usb support then you might be able to get windows to boot after first lock-up trying to boot windows after usb enable. But booting into windows without a ps/2 keyboard with a pc that has only usb availability to do such is hard for me to consul. Maybe you can boot into windows xp if it's not password protected with a serial mouse if there's a serial port.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

I'll give that a shot when I look at it tomorrow, but I'm fairly positive that USB support is enabled. I can access my flash drive through the repair console, and I've never used it on that computer while windows was running.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Possibilities that I would try

Boot into ERD Commander, using a Live CD then use the utility to check protected files

or

boot into Windows install CD, proceed normally as though installing.
When it finds the previously installed partition (after hitting F8) , run a repair install rather than doing a new install.
Don't go into the repair console as you did earlier (prior to hitting the F8 agreement to EULA.)

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #7

I checked the bios this morning and USB support had been enabled the entire time. I figured I'd let it boot up one more time and see if anything had changed before I did a repair install, and it recognized the mouse and keyboard. I guess uninstalling the service pack made windows think USB support was disabled for whatever reason. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Glad you got it fixed ..

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Closed Thread