Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Microphone +20dB Boost keeps turning OFF

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Microphone +20dB Boost keeps turning OFF within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Perhaps it's irrelevant, but I just wanted to mention that I had previously been posting for help at bleepingcomputer.com, but

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Perhaps it's irrelevant, but I just wanted to mention that I had previously been posting for help at bleepingcomputer.com, but today when I went over my history of posted topics, I realized that absolutely none of my issues were solved by anybody there, so I'm going to start bringing my problems to TSF to see if I can get help here.

Here's the text quoted from my original post:

Quote:
I've searched for a solution to this and so far I haven't gotten anywhere.

The problem is quite simple, really. I need to have the mic boost on when I use it. It keeps turning off by itself and I cannot figure out why. I left that control window open with the option checked so I could maybe find out what was happening when it turned off, and after a while it just turned off and I hadn't done or changed anything else at that moment. I was using the microphone, but it had been on for a while already.

I thought it was Skype, so I went into Skype options and UNchecked the option to let skype control my audio devices. I read online somewhere that updating to the latest drivers (I have an Audigy 2 ZS) from Creative would fix the problem, so I updated them. So far nothing has worked (obviously, or else I wouldn't be posting about it). I've also searched the Creative audio settings and haven't found anything relevant.

I hope someone can help me. It's quite a nuisance. The worst part is that I don't know when it happens. I'll be talking on Skype or streaming live on JTV, and after a while I'll notice that people are having a hard time understanding me... then I go check the mic boost and, sure enough, it's off again.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.
I hope you can help me with this. Someone over at BC just told me to search Google for the answer. Not helpful at all.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

This thread can be deleted my a mod/admin. This is no longer an issue.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

If you found a solution, it's always good to post it in case someone else has the same problem. Then when somebody tells that person to Google it, your answer will come up!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
If you found a solution, it's always good to post it in case someone else has the same problem. Then when somebody tells that person to Google it, your answer will come up!
I thought about it. I suppose you're right.

Turns out it was Portal 2 that was changing it whenever I ran the game. I really don't know how I missed that connection. I suppose that sometimes I didn't actually "notice" it had been turned off until long after I stopped playing, so I didn't think of it as a possibility. Once I figured that out, I was able to change Portal 2's settings so it didn't happen any more. Hasn't turned off since.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Good deal. I was thinking it was some other program that also accesses your mic or maybe software installed with your sound card.