Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Manually Export individual registry keys from command line or any other way?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Manually Export individual registry keys from command line or any other way? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Manually Export individual registry keys or a specified bunch of Reg Keys by command line or a batch file or

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Manually Export individual registry keys or a specified bunch of Reg Keys by command line or a batch file or any other way that doesnt involve opening regedit and moving to the specified key and manually exporting it....

Even if it needs the use of some softwares, it would do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You can use regedit from the command line
Regedit /E filename.reg [key to export]
If you don't specify a key, the entire registry is exported
Example:
Regedit /E "%userprofile%\Desktop\Batfile.reg" hkey_classes_root\batfile
Will export the HKCR\Batfile key to a file named batfile.reg on your desktop.
You can't use the short version for the key name, it has to be spelled out, so HKCR can't be used in the above example.

Or you can use reg.exe commands to add, deleted, query, or export keys.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your quick reply.
Ya, knew it. But am a bit skeptical using it. Sorry for being less informative in my previous post.

Let me explain in detail what I need. First am adding some data into registry, before that I want to know whether there exist any similar keys in the registry. If so I wanted it to be backed up, then I will add these keys, later Once I finish using it, I will remove the Keys that I added and restore those keys that existed.

I feel it could be done using a bat file using the command line options you gave.. I would still love to know if there is an easy way, coz the amount of keys I want to add is pretty large. Awaiting your reply... Thank you once again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

To be precise, I have exactly 3220 reg keys to back up. I cannot manually backup each key. Though I could use office Macro and create a bat file to backup individual keys, even then it would create 3220 reg files.

So, Is there a way to export multiple keys to reg file or is there a way to export to a same reg file multiple times. Either of the above would help.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Only way to do it in one file is to export the parent key. If these are under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyProgram\Key1
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyProgram\Key2
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyProgram\Key3200

You would export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyProgram
If they are divided up under 5 parent keys for example, you just need to export those 5 parent keys.

If they are spread through out HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, you would have to export the entire HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software key This would undo any changes other programs make to their registry keys in between the time you back up and restore that key.

Do these 3220 keys have Subkeys under them? And do the Subkeys have Subkeys?
You'd have to have a list of the 3220 keys to read, read in each item from the list, Recursively query the registry for that key to get all of it's subkeys and the subkey's subkeys, then query again to get the Value names, Value types, and value data for each key/subkey found, then build a batch file to add those values back in using Reg Add.
If none of the 3220 keys have any subkeys, you can skip the recursive query, and just query for the values
Once that is done, you can merge a precreated .reg file with the values you want.
To restore, you would merge a precreated .reg file to remove your values, then run the batch file you created to put back the values you backed up.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

yes, it does have a subkeys....
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have done some tweaking..will let you know....
Closed Thread