Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Lots of Aps Problems. Help.

4K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  brookbend 
#1 ·
I did the following in (A) then the results happened in (B) which I need help with.

(A)
Click Start - Run, then type in %temp% and then click OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in c:\windows\temp and then click OK.
I deleted nearly everything in these temp folders.

(B)
Subsequent boot-ups had these results:

At Desktop:
-can not open folders
-can open some Aps from here, some I can not
-can open Word + Excel files
-can move most files from desktop into folders on desktop

At Start: Can not open:
-my computer
-my documents
-other programs on left

From Start / All Programs:
Can not start any program when clicked

At Start Run:
Did chkdsk and ran til RAM ran out. Screen turned blue.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Lots of Aps Problems. Help.

Hi brookbend,

If you're able, boot up and then go to START>ACCESSORIES>COMMAND PROMPT and type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotation marks). After that, repeat the process except type in "chkdsk c: /r" (again, no quotation marks and ensure there is a space between c: and /r).

Good day!

#4 ·

Hi brookbend,

If you're able, boot up and then go to START>ACCESSORIES>COMMAND PROMPT and type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotation marks). After that, repeat the process except type in "chkdsk c: /r" (again, no quotation marks and ensure there is a space between c: and /r).

Good day!

Don't forget to type "Y" for yes then reboot.

#6 ·

Hi brookbend,

Ok. Open up the START>ACCESSORIES> and click on RUN and see if it opens a command window for you. If so, type "cmd.exe" and if it opens a command window, go back to my original post and try those commands.

Let me know. Thanks.

Mike

#7 ·

Went to ACCESSORIES then right-clicked on COMMAND
clicked Run As ... picked one of the optional users...tried various commands and got message saying I'm not the right administrator...

Not sure about how to do your last instructions...? I take I didn't do what you wanted.. how do you click RUN if you're in ACCESSORIES?

#11 ·

I got a way to get the MSDOS promt.

1. did chkdsk c: /r overnight.... when I returned it had disappeared. I assume it continued past step #4, when I went to sleep. But where is it now? Does it save itself anywhere?

2. ran scannow. it's asking for insert disc with service pack 3 - I only have a SP 2 disc.

3. I re-started in diag mode... and am now running Superantispyware - that's the other half of the problem - instructed to me at this site's malware forum to resolve shopping ads, pop-up links and similar

#12 ·

Your chkdsk should have resulted in information about the drive and if it found problems, it would have had a line in the readout that said it found a bad file or something to that effect. You could try typing the following line in the RUN window or in the command prompt window and then after it completes, you could go to c:\chkdisklog.txt and read the log.

CHKDSK C: /R > C:\CHKDISKLOG.TXT

As for SuperAntiSpyware, it's a great program but only one of many that are very useful in removing malware and such.

Mike

#13 ·

As Michael Larsen said, when check disk finishes it flashes a quick text about what it fixed. If Check Disk took several hours to complete then the drive may have too many bad sectors. If you continue to have problems, consider replacing the HDD before it totally fails. As for malware, in addition to SuperAntiSpyWare, you should also include Malwarebytes, followed by CCleaner.

#14 ·

got Superantispyware to run, then all functionality came back. But pc is still very slow.

chkdsk c: /r finished and says "The volume is clean" .

I will run MB and CCleaner next. I would not be surprise I have some files missing, or corrupt. [ I'm not sure what my next step will be after MB and CCleaner. I am dealing with another guy in an AV forum, diff site. Same guy as originally, before I came here]. I shudder at the idea of a reinstall. I can get the command window at will, now.

#15 ·

Good to see there is progress. Once you have a clean bill of health If you feel your missing Windows files go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD and it will replace any missing or corrupted files from the CD.

#17 ·

There is no SP4 for XP. If you have an XP CD with a earlier SP on it and you run SFC when it runs into a file that is newer on your computer or included in SP3 it will ask for this disc. If you press enter, it will by pass this file and continue on. And it will only replace the missing files. You may have to do this several times. You can also slipstream SP3 into your XP CD using nLite

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.