Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] License error

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] License error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had windwos xp home installed and I wanted to be able to use the remote desktop feature. So I

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I had windwos xp home installed and I wanted to be able to use the remote desktop feature. So I found a tutorial that explained how to install this feature by changing registry values. This didn't end up working for me BUT I left the values I had changed the same and not backed up the registry before changing them Then I tried to install XP SP3 (automatic updates) and after it installed and the Welcome screen came up I got this message:

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005

These are the two sites I used to try to get Remote desktop to work (you can read the tutorial I used):

Tutorial

Used this site to chnage registry values

I also tried to use the microsoft support site to fix the issue but the method I used didn't work.

Microsoft Site (Used Method 2)

I don't think any of this is illegal. I have a Windows XP and Professional CD. Also note that I can't lose any of the data on the hard drive (no reinstalls). Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

G'Day Darkfox,

Try powering up the computer from a 'Cold Start', while continually tapping the F8 Key.
In the "Safe Mode" Menu select the option "Last Known Good Configuration", and follow the on-screen prompts.

If this method fails, repeat the procedure to get you into Safe Mode, and use the in-built System Restore feature to restore the computer back to a time/date before you fiddled with the Registry.

Post back with the outcome.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

ok so I'm up and running with safe mode. I can log in without the rror. However system restore was turned off so there is no point before I fiddled with the registry. I have the registry open right now. The registry value I changed was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet00X/Control/ProductOptions (ControlSet00X being the one with the highest number in place of X. Then I deleted the ProductSuite registry key. Maybe if I just get the values from someone I can put it back in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hello again Darkfox,

Quote:
However system restore was turned off so there is no point before I fiddled with the registry.
This is your downfall!

The only solution for this dilemma is to 'slave' this HDD in another computer; extract whatever data you need on to CD/DVD or other media; then wipe this Drive and start your Windows® installation from scratch.
There is no way to recover the registry information, as it applies only to your machine, and is not information that can be 'copied' from another computer.

To help you with the re installation, please read this checklist.
The Windows® XP Installation Check List.

1. The Windows® XP SP2-CD (naturally)

2. Darik's Boot N Nuke®..A Disc wiping Utility; or alternatively... Killdisk™. (Click the coloured Links).

3. Please read this guide...A Step-by-Step Installation Guide with explanations for each step of the installation.

4. The Motherboard CD that contains all the necessary Drivers etc.

A few tips:
a. Darik's Boot N Nuke will take about 4˝ hours to completely wipe the Drive; however, this will vary depending on how big the Drive is. (That estimate is for a 80Gb HDD). Wiping the HDD this way will give you the best chance of a 'clean' uninterrupted installation.

b. When you get to Figure 7 in 'The Guide', you can create more than one partition here by simply telling Windows® how big you want it. Should you do decide to create an extra partition, it will not be active until you do so after the installation is over and done with...we can give you guidance as to how this is done, so partition away if you wish.

c. Once the installation is finished, with all the Motherboard Drivers installed, and Internet connected, I strongly recommend that you install a reputable Anti Virus program first; then, go to the Windows Update Site and download all the updates (including SP3).
AVG™ is has a very good free version available here.

d. DO NOT have any unnecessary items; such as, USB cameras, Printers etc., attached to the machine...install all these after the installation is finished, and fully updated from Microsoft®.

If you are uncertain about anything here, do not hesitate to ask for assistance.

Good Luck with this task; when you have finished, please report back with the success or failure of the installation.

Kind Regards,

Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Alright that's all I needed. I only changed one value in the registry so I thought maybe I could change it back. It's all good. thanks for the help. will be installing XP Pro this time =].
Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

(Sorry double post)
Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Glad you got it sorted.

Feel free to post back at any time in the future should you have any other woes.

Kind Regards,

Closed Thread