Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Finding Outlook Address Book Database

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Finding Outlook Address Book Database within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This seems like such a simple question that I am almost embarrassed to ask it. I use MS Outlook on

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #1

This seems like such a simple question that I am almost embarrassed to ask it. I use MS Outlook on my home PC and also on my laptop (I also use XP on both). I want to copy the address book / contacts from the home PC to use on my laptop. But I can't seem to find the database to copy. Having Googled the question, I searched for *.pab files, and *.wab files (which I understand is the extension for the address book) but didn't find any. Another suggestion was that it could be within contacts in the .pst file. That I found! But when I tried to copy it I received a message that some program had 'locked' a portion of the file and it couldn't be copied! Surely it can't be that hard! Can someone please help with this 'minor' incovenience? Thanks in advance.

Leo01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

Open outlook and go to the File menu and select Import and Export. Export the address book first. Under Choose an action to perform click Export Internet Mail and Addresses if the option is available (I am at work and exporting data has been disabled by sys admin so I am unsure of the menus passed there) .

After exporting them, you should be able to follow the same process to import them after transferring them to the laptop.

edit: Which version of outlook are you using? Outlook express, MS Outlook, and which year?

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #3

Hi Elf,

I am using MS Outlook 2007 (not Outlook Express). Unfortunately under the FILE menu I don't have the IMPORT AND EXPORT option (in fact I can't find IMPORT AND EXPORT under any of the tabs). The options that are available in the FILE menu are:

NEW
OPEN
CLOSE ALL ITEMS
SAVE AS
SAVE ATTACHMENTS
FOLDER
DATA FILE MANAGEMENT
ARCHIVE
PAGE SETUP
PRINT PREVIEW
PRINT and
WORK OFFLINE

The closest I can get to copy is under the FOLDER heading where it offers me the option to 'COPY INBOX' but when I click on it the only options of where to copy it too all apear to be in the mail folders of Outlook. It doesn't offer the option of exporting to a memory stick or another folder from which I could copy it to a memory stick.

Cheers,

Leo01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

Try to add the export and import option by following this

- Go to your View menu
- Toolbars
- Customize
- On the Commands tab select File under categories then click rearrange commands
- click add and select export and import

Let me know if that work puts export and import back into the file menu....
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Thanks cis4smack, that worked and I now have the import/export option.
Next issue it how to get it to export the address book or contact list.
The only two export options it offers me are:
- Export RSS Feeds, and
- Export to a file (which looks very much like it will export only a single address or contact out of the list).

There is no option to "export internet mail and addresses".

Cheers,

Leo01
Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #6

You're going to select export to a file. The next window you'll select "comma separated values (dos) ". Select contacts then click next. You are going to be prompted to save the exported file, click browse and save to your desktop. continue to click next until finished.

When you import you're going select import from another file. Next window select "comma separated values (dos)" and browse to the file you exported and then click next. Choose the option you want to happen and click next select contacts and continue till finish.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #7

Awesome! That worked perfectly!

Thanks very much, you guys are amazing!

Now for my next minor problem ...

Cheers,

Leo01
Closed Thread