Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] End ofThis is a general question regarding the end of support for XP support

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] End ofThis is a general question regarding the end of support for XP support within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is a General question regarding the end of support for XP. I realise at the end date the computer

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shipboard

This is a General question regarding the end of support for XP. I realise at the end date the computer should be backed up in case you have to format the disc at any time after the end of the support period.

My question is does the built in Windows back up in XP when backing up the system include the installed updates? Or is it best to use third party software to do this.

shipboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I believe Windows just backs up your personal files and won't do the entire OS. You'll need a 3rd party program to do the entire HDD.

Also you really should think about upgrading to Windows 7. Staying on XP after the end support date is not recommended as you will lose security updates from Microsoft as well as patches.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The End of Microsoft supporting XP means that Microsoft will not be supplying any more New Updates for XP. However, Any current updates that are already available, will be available in Stand Alone downloads. SP 1, 2, and 3 and .Net Framework etc.
Microsoft Backup will backup your entire C: drive, updates an all. Microsoft Corporation However, if your HDD fails, or you need to format, you need to Reinstall Windows from the XP CD, then start the Microsoft Backup program and choose Restore to restore your backup that is saved on a different drive.
You can slipstream your XP CD with SP 3, Updates, SATA driver, Windows Drivers and IE8 using nLite.
Or you can clone your HDD to another HDD. If your C: HDD fails, or you need to format, you can swap your C: drive with the cloned drive and be back in business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shipboard

Thats made everything very clear, thanks a lot.

shipboard.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

clicking on that komku link, chrome browser blocked it stated malware risk....
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by abd123 View Post
clicking on that komku link, chrome browser blocked it stated malware risk....
Thanks, now edited due to the below:
Quote:
Content from str8a.com.my, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.