Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Dell Dimension 4600 Create XP recovery cd

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Dell Dimension 4600 Create XP recovery cd within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all and thanks in advance for your help. I also apologize in advance if I am in the wrong

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all and thanks in advance for your help.
I also apologize in advance if I am in the wrong forum, or have missed threads where I may have gotten the help I am looking for.
Having said that, I recently inherited a Dell Dimension 4600i Desktop XP Home Edition SP3, Pentium 4 (2.6 GHz), 2.5 GB Ram, Seagate HDD C 80 GB (25 GB free space), added WD HDD F 80 GB (70 GB free space) (OS on Drive C).
The issue is that this computer was given to me and the previous owner did not have any of the Dell CDs that originally came with the computer.
It has been my experience that eventually the C drive will crash.
I want to mitigate the loss of of my OS as best as I can.
What do you suggest I do to create a recovery CD or anything else given the absence of the original CDs.
Although I am not a super expert in all of this, I feel somewhat comfortable working with the BIOS, disk management, but NOT DOS commands.
If it comes down to a suggestion to copy a whole lot to the F drive, I don't really want to copy ALL of the C to the F because in that case, I will have two drives that are nearly full.
If it is a matter of just copying OS files or boot files, etc. that will be fine.
I am open to all suggestions, and I will need very detailed instructions.
Thank you all again.
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi as this is a dell here is the manual https://support.dell.com/support/edoc...M/J2936bk0.pdf you may be best to use something like Acronis to make a image on a external hdd as you may not have the necessary i386 folder that could allow you to make a bootable disc similar to that mentioned here How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD from a Pre-loaded/Preinstalled Windows System (howtohaven.com)

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you joeten,
Not that it should matter, but my F drive is mounted internally. Does that make a difference?
Also, if I might ask, when I reply to a reply to me, what is the difference between "Quick Reply" and "Post Reply"?
Thank you again,
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Yeah I realise that but a external hdd is a better option since it gives you a back up position not affected if the main hdd failed,just use post quick reply in the thread it is all I have ever used.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks joeten for that info.
Appreciate it!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your welcome

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You can also order a Restore CD from Dell: https://support.dell.com/support/top.../backupcd_form
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you spunk.funk for that information as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Good afternoon spunk.funk.
I really have to thank you so much for that link to Dell's support page.
In less than about two weeks, I was able to get a full duplicate set of the CDs that were originally packaged with the new computer.
All I had to do was:
1) Fill out a form that changes ownership of this computer to me from its previous owner.
2) Fill out a form with my address and the PCs service tag #.
3) Answer a question or two about why I need duplicate CDs in the first place.

In a few days, I received an email from Dell telling me that my request had been approved and that the CDs were being sent to me via Fedex OVERNIGHT!
I received 5 CDs and now have everything I need should my C Drive crash.

I am very grateful to you spunk.funk and to joeten for assisting me.

Respectfully,
Bruce
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You are welcome! glad we could help!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

A nice outcome glad your sorted

Closed Thread