Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] corrupted ip routing table

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] corrupted ip routing table within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am a complete novice so please be patient and talk to me like i'm a 6 year old if

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: xp Media Center Edition Version 2002 service pack 3

Question

I am a complete novice so please be patient and talk to me like i'm a 6 year old if possible.
I have a 10 yr old hp with xp. I use a modem with Charter internet supplied by my apt complex for free. I recently bought a belkin router and a netgear tv box. Everything was working fine until we had a power outage during the night. The next morning nothing was working. A day later i got my modem, router and tv box to work. The computer worked after trying to turn it on 3 times. The monitor wouldn't come on at first. Now everything is working but i still can't get online. My connections say they are connected but nothing is received.
I ran the IE connection problem diagnostic tool and it says:
default gateway 0.0.0.0
no default gateway entry
corrupted routing table
the default route is missing or invalid
invalid IP address
could not connect HTTP connection
HTTPS and FTP connections

I have no idea what any of that means. Can you help? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
TSF Articles Team

My System

I assume you have tried to reset the router?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

The Default Gateway is your Router. Boot into the Router setup If it is connected to the modem correctly and the modem is configured correctly, then if you can see that the router is connected.
If there is a internet conection, The Default Gateway (Netgear router) will broadcast an IP address to all of the devices on your network giving them access to the internet.
Go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /registerdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. You should get a new IP address for your computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStormKuja View Post
I assume you have tried to reset the router?
yes I have cycled the power to everything a few times. I also tried to restore to 2 different earlier dates and both times it said it was unable to restore to that date.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

ok I'm going to go do that now. thank you.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

after I typed ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew it said the same thing...this operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissable for this operation.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

my modem is working and my router is working because thats what i use for my netgear tv. The computer is hooked directly to the modem. I don't have wireless internet on my desktop .
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
no adapter is in the state permissable for this operation.
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager are there any devices with yellow flags? If so, these devices need to have drivers installed. On an internet go to the computer manufacturers support/download drivers site, type in your make and model# or service tag # and download the Network Adapter driver for your model and save it to a USB Flash Drive. And install it on the troubled computer.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

ok I'm going to try that. Thank you so much.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

there were no yellow flags on anything. Do i still download the adapter driver?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

In the Device Manager open up Network Adapters, what is listed there?
Go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Do you have Local Area Network listed? Does it have a red X across it? If so, right click it and Enable it.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

under network adapters there is: 1394 net adapter and nvidia nforce networking controller
i typed in ncpa.cpl my connections came up. local area connection said connected, firewalled nvidia no red x. the other connection shown was 1394 connection also connected and firewalled
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

sorry it took so long i was at work until just a little bit ago.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

The 1394 connection is a Firewire connection and is not used to connect to the internet. Your adapter is the nVidia nForce Controller. This looks like everything is connected.
You now need to boot into the Belkin Router and make sure it is setup correctly. (eg) the internet provider, Email address, and password are typed in the router setup. Check your Belkin manual or setup CD for more information on how to logon to the router setup.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
Registered Member

ok i just want to make sure you remember, my computer is cabled directly to my modem. My router is working because that is what I use for my internet tv, which is working fine. I just got the router a few days before my internet went down so i remember setting it up. There is no cd, but i had to go online to do the set up. How do i go through the set up if i can't get online. Thank you for hanging in there with me all this time. I really appreciate it. I'm new here and don't know anyone who can help.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
Registered Member

My System

How did you get online before to setup the router?
The way it usually works is there is a line that comes into the house, via Cable Modem or DSL. That line plugs into a Modem. There is only want out jack on a Modem, so out of the Modem it goes to the Router (or you could plug directly into your computer, but you could not plug in any other devices) . Out of the router, there are 4 Ethernet jacks that you can plug any internet device into.
If you have no internet connection plugged direclty into the modem, then you have to speak with Charter internet to test your lines and your connection.
Please explain your setup if what I described is different then yours.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As the description states Routing table corrupted it might need to be reset. Try this on another machine click on the link below this will open a window click on "Save File" save it the "Desktop" or it might be saved to your "Documents" folder. With a thumb drive copy and paste the file that you just saved on the desktop or Documents folder "MicrosoftFixit50199" to the thumb drive. Now take the thumb drive plug it into the XP machine open the thumb drive by going to Start then My Computer. Open the thumb drive and open the "MicrosoftFixit50199" file follow the instructions.

https://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9664547

When it's done restart the XP Machine. This I hope with fix the TCP/IP Stack.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
Registered Member

ok I'm going to try that now. thank you.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
Registered Member

OMG! YOU DID IT!!!!! i AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

DUDE YOU ROCK. I AM NOT KIDDING. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FIXED IT. THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOU ARE LIKE A COMPUTER ANGEL. I LOVE YOU! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH. YOU SAVED ME!

IF I CAN EVER DO ANYTHING FOR YOU JUST ASK. THANK YOU! THANK YOU DUDE.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Wow you're welcome! But I will have to edit your name out for security reasons. Please use the thread tools above and mark the thread as solved.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread