Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Computer won't complete boot after downgrading system from Vista

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer won't complete boot after downgrading system from Vista within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Actually have two problems but can't troubleshoot other problem now because computer won't finish it's boot sequence so that we

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

Actually have two problems but can't troubleshoot other problem now because computer won't finish it's boot sequence so that we can uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers.

Friend can't get on line so I am on phone with her. Has a Dell Espiron E 1505 she bought in 2007. Had Windows Vista which she hated.

She used a BART disk to uninstall. Then installed Windows XP Professional with service pack 2 and 3.

She has not been able to get on line since. While we were trying to trouble shoot that problem started having problem getting Windows to load.

First it said Hardware or Software change has prevented computer from properly shutting down... load in safe mode. Which she did... it found new Hardware... and asked for disk which she supplied. Now what we're getting is a "SBC Yahoo Reboot helper" which is the DSL installer.

It had a Yahoo error message which said Please be patient...can't get on line to finish installation...and says if it doesn't continue in a few moments to put the DSL installer disk back in.

We put the disk for the DSL in and what comes up is "No Modem found" and walks you through Modem installation, but it won't let us reinstall drivers anywhere during this process. If we try to exit it a 3" bar comes up on the screen that says "Quick Protect". When we try to exit that the computer won't finish loading windows, and a restart automatically throws us into this same loop.

The person she got the BART disk from is a professional. I am sure it is some kind of equivalent to the killdisk program that totally wipes Vista off the hard drive of the computer.

If you have any suggestions to how to break this loop we're all ears at this point. We have tried everything we know to do.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Can I download a reboot disk for this computer anywhere so that I can get to a command prompt window and remove the offending program in DOS so that I can get windows to load normally?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

It's most likely a driver issue. When you down graded from Vista it probably got rid of the driver. If you still have the driver disk you got when you purchased your computer, then you should just run that and re-install the driver. If not, you'll have to figure out what kind of modem you have, and then download the driver off line. I hope this solves your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Wipeing the disc with the BART disc was not necessary . . She can delete partitions using the XP installation disc. Was the disc she used to install a legitimate installation disc?

Have her look in Device Manager to see what needs drivers . . she can go to the Dell support site, enter your Service Tag Number and download the drivers. Be sure to use IE and do not use the Dell Download Manager!

Just download the driver file, save it to the desktop and double click to install

On the list of drivers, click on the driver file:

Then the download button here:

See this for the order they should be installed:

https://support.dell.com/support/topi...=en&l=en&s=dhs

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

CRAP! I am an idiot...Bart is a boot disk!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thank You all for the help... When I get the Yahoo Internet program deleted so that I can get Windows to load I am sure that removing the driver and reinstalling it will help...especially appreciate the info on locating the correct drivers for Dell computers...the driver she has is listed as the same one I have for my computer which is an HP...that is probably the problem.

Extremely grateful...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Let us know how it goes . .

Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

If anyone has this problem with their computer NOT completing the boot sequence and has XP try hitting F8 as soon as the reboot process starts and get it to reset to an earlier date or load in safe mode. Built into program so that it doesn't need a boot disk like the old Windows 98 programs had.

Old non geek computer gal, just learning new tricks...and Hoping it helps someone besides just me!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Glad you got it sorted.

Closed Thread