Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Catch 22 dell no keyboard or mouse

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Catch 22 dell no keyboard or mouse within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone this is my first post so please go easy on me :) I have in my office a

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Pro sp2 64bit, Windows 7 sp1 Ultimate 32bit

Hi everyone this is my first post so please go easy on me :)

I have in my office a Dell Dimension 5150 that had a faulty motherboard (blown capacitors x 8) so I got a new one exactly the same off the Bay.

My problem is that when booting into windows xp the found new hardware comes up to install everything this got so far and is stuck at audio device asking for me to click next which i cannot do because the keyboard or mouse does not work yet because they are not getting installed before everything else!!!

they work in the bios
they work using UBCD4win

there is no legacy support for usb option in the bios :(
there are no PS/2 on this tower and no serials either.

This problem existed before the replacement motherboard as the only keyboard and mouse that would work was the original ones in the original usb ports (already installed) any new usb ones tried to install but needed to click next at found new hardware wizard, catch 22

safe mode is exactly the same.

the only thing i can think of is a pci = ps/2 card if they exist but i want to get this dell out of my office quicker than waiting weeks for it to arrive.

Does anyone know why xp is insisting on manual installation of every device even my monitor apparently needs installing.

I have tried a few different usb keyboards and mice but same result.

I have the original dell ones here but they are so far down the cue or being installed

please any ideas help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

Have you tried disabling the on-board audio in Bios and then re-booting ; that may stop the audio device from requiring drivers be loaded.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi CCT,

Thanks for your quick reply,

I have tried disabling the audio in the bios then it tries to install the dvd drive so disabled that too then it says found new hardware again "Disk" if i disable the hard disk
it doesn't boot windows lol.

Its seems that windows xp wants to install all the motherboard devices including the keyboard and mouse, but gives you no way to continue.

windows xp was doing this before but it wasnt a problem with the original dell keyboard and mouse that i have connected now but the replacement motherboard means even they are not installed yet?

This is what i can do:

I have it on the internet
I can boot into UBCD4 win (some diagnostic software might be useful)
I can get a dos prompt
I can boot from a Win xp Pro sp3 oem cd (same as whats installed)
I can Throw it over the balcony.....

cheers,

Marcus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Boot from xp cd and perform a repair install (NOT the "Press 'R' to repair windows using the recovery console"). All basic devices will be reinstalled "on the fly". Think of the replacement motherboard as a different system even though it's identical to the old one. Windows has the older hardware profile which will not work with the new hardware, that's why everything is being detected as new hardware. Lesson: identical twins do differ.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Stancestans,

I want to try your idea of the repair install of XP but i have read on other forums that it gets as far 34mins remaining then you cannot click anything because the mouse or keyboard doesnt work? I think being stuck in the middle of a repair install is a worse place to be stuck with this problem than where I am currently with all windows updates done.

If your sure it wont happen leaving me stuck half way through a repair then ill do it. I think maybe the windows xp has a problem with automatic hardware installation legacy support.
Even before the replacement motherboard it had this problem with not being able to install anything without clicking next on found hardware wizard.

any ideas?

thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

When Windows is installed on a computer, it takes a snapshot of the motherboard and the chipset and loads drives specifically for that motherboard. When you replace the motherboard and do not reinstall Windows, when Windows loads it looks for the previous hardware and does not find it, so it cannot load drivers specific to that hardware. Usually this causes a BSOD. The only way to get full functionality for your computer again with all the proper drivers is either to do a Repair Install or wipe the drive and do a clean install
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok did the repair install and all went well keyboard and mouse working but upon reboot hit the message: this windows must be activated before use so i used the safe mode and run command : rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk
then back in normal mode finished installing everything else (automatically) phew!!
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
CCT
Helper

So, it would appear that "I got a new one exactly the same off the Bay" turned out to be a different one.

Nice you sorted it out.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Glad you got it sorted. Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images

Closed Thread