Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Cant sign in windows live messenger.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Cant sign in windows live messenger. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After following this : https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-542547.html I reinstalled windows live messenger, but when I try to sign in I get this

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

After following this :https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-542547.html

I reinstalled windows live messenger, but when I try to sign in I get this error code : 80040154!

Now the weird thing is, the windows live messenger is not there at my Add/Remove Programs, only windows sign in asstiance thing.

While I was installing windows live messenger, It said could not install it due to the same file being there in C:Windows/Installer, and one in C:Windows/xpsYx or something like that, SO i deleted those manually :/

Ive tried uninstalling msn with revo , and installing it again but it wont sign in :/

Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Have tried this already : Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. Error 80040154
Old 01-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Bump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
TSF Emeritus

Click Start => Run copy and paste the following line into the run box REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Shaz, Glad you got the bugs out of that computer. After reading through what you've done so far in relation to this particular program it looks to me like by using CCleaner, and making registry changes you m,ight have inadvertantly messed that registry up pretty bad. Listen man stay out of the registry, if you don't know exactly what you are doing in there you will end up with a paper weight for a computer lol, or at the very least render it unusable until you wipe the hard drive and re-install the operating system. I have seen that happen many times.

If you have any of those cleaner type programs on your computer still use Revo and remove them. As for logging into WLM have you tried this:

https://windowslivehelp.com/solution....5-08378a5dd609

Let me know if that helps.

Patmark

PS. Looks like your done over there in Security. Please remember to mark the thread solved. Ried is the best huh? :)

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go The Power View Post
Click Start => Run copy and paste the following line into the run box REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll
Like I said, Ive already done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmark View Post
Hi Shaz, Glad you got the bugs out of that computer. After reading through what you've done so far in relation to this particular program it looks to me like by using CCleaner, and making registry changes you m,ight have inadvertantly messed that registry up pretty bad. Listen man stay out of the registry, if you don't know exactly what you are doing in there you will end up with a paper weight for a computer lol, or at the very least render it unusable until you wipe the hard drive and re-install the operating system. I have seen that happen many times.

If you have any of those cleaner type programs on your computer still use Revo and remove them. As for logging into WLM have you tried this:

https://windowslivehelp.com/solution....5-08378a5dd609

Let me know if that helps.

Patmark

PS. Looks like your done over there in Security. Please remember to mark the thread solved. Ried is the best huh? :)
Must be with the CCleaner, cause I always use that after Un-installing a Program..

There was no Windows Live Contact Folder, or contacts folder, but 2 folders called Windows Live and Messenger So I delete them both and tried.

Still dint work.

Yes Ried is the best! Thanks for that ! I will mark it solved once he replys back to confirm that we are done :)

Thanks for solving that , now we must solve this.

And funny thing is , it doesnt bother signing in , when I press enter in about 0.5 second I get the error message.

Edit : Whenever I use CCleaner, I always save the registery. So I have that particular registery I guess, dont know tho.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Well Shaz, saving the registry is always a smart idea when your doing something new, however I don't think restoring that one would be a good idea as it may be infected with Malware.

I'm not very good with WLM as I never have used it and I'm not a big messanger person so I don't have any on my system, but I will do my best. Let me ask you this is windows live messanger a part of Windows, I mean does it come with the operating system when you install it? or is it a program that you have to download and install later? Oh nevermind I see it on my computer. LOL I never use it so I didn't even know it was there.

I'm not sure if this will work or not and Spunk isn't around right now to ask him but if its a native windows program a SFC /scannow might restore the folders and the files that the system needs to make it work again. It won't hurt to try it. The link below will show you how if you don't already know. But only try the start - run - sfc /scannow enter one, (scroll down the page to see it), not the registry fixes. Let's stay out of the registry if we can.

scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

Let me know what happens and we will go from there.

Patmark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
TSF Emeritus

What firewall do you have?

Go Here and download the WLM remover. Double click on the tool, click on Uninstall.

Restart your computer.

Download a fresh version of WLM from Here and install.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmark View Post
Well Shaz, saving the registry is always a smart idea when your doing something new, however I don't think restoring that one would be a good idea as it may be infected with Malware.

I'm not very good with WLM as I never have used it and I'm not a big messanger person so I don't have any on my system, but I will do my best. Let me ask you this is windows live messanger a part of Windows, I mean does it come with the operating system when you install it? or is it a program that you have to download and install later? Oh nevermind I see it on my computer. LOL I never use it so I didn't even know it was there.

I'm not sure if this will work or not and Spunk isn't around right now to ask him but if its a native windows program a SFC /scannow might restore the folders and the files that the system needs to make it work again. It won't hurt to try it. The link below will show you how if you don't already know. But only try the start - run - sfc /scannow enter one, (scroll down the page to see it), not the registry fixes. Let's stay out of the registry if we can.

scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

When I try the sfc thing , it says u need to enter cd bla bla, so I put the show the hidden file thing , I still get that cd thing , you need to put ur xp cd.
Let me know what happens and we will go from there.

Patmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go The Power View Post
What firewall do you have?

Go Here and download the WLM remover. Double click on the tool, click on Uninstall.

Restart your computer.

Download a fresh version of WLM from Here and install.
It said, unsuccesfuly uninstalled.

Now ima download msn from this - Windows Live Messenger for Windows XP
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
Registered Member

Okay it worked ^^Thanks a lot Go The Power,
And Patmark ofcourse!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #11
TSF Emeritus

No problems :)
Closed Thread