Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I have a difficult problem in a friends laptop I'd like to sort out. the system: -WinXP v.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All, I have a difficult problem in a friends laptop I'd like to sort out.

the system:
-WinXP v. 5.1 Sp3
- Compaq Presario C300 1gb ram

These are the symptoms:
- unable to copy and paste, as paste shows up in grey in the right click options
- can't drag and drop
- can't access network (message like "RPC server is not working" shows up)
- when in safe mode, administrator account's task bar is locked below
the bottom of screen, I couldn't find a way to put it visible (i can
see the edge of it's top, but it won't budge with mouse drag as
well...). Task bar is visible from my friend's User's account though.
- I still can get access to task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del and
start programs/utilities from there
- I used his hard drive as external drive in my laptop (Win7), but my
system can't access data drive c: ("access denied" error) but can
access restore drive D:

Since my friend didn't have any back ups, the system has "arrested"
his personal files... We’d like to recover them somehow...

I have already tried all following fixes but none worked, the system
basically still has the issues described above:
- I tried sfc in administrator safe mode through command prompt, but this error
shows up: "Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of
protected files. Specific error code is 0x0000006ba (the RPC server is
unavailable)
- I ran full scan modes of Avira premium anti-virus, free Avast
anti-virus, Ad-aware and IObit 3360 internet secutrity on the hard
drive connected to my laptop as an external drive. The scans found “Suela-1042” and “\hiberfil.sys” infections, which were cleaned. These were found (or one of them at least... ) in directory “j:\found.000\dir0000.chk\de4”, j: being my friend’s drive attached as an external HD in my laptop. They also found a “Dialer-KT” which none of the above could clean off.
- I tried system restore from friends user acc, first is says "Sys
restore is not able to protect your computer. Pls restart and then run
Sys restore again." After restarting nothing happens so basically I can’t access system restore.
- I have tried to take ownership of my friends files and grant rights to my user account in laptop, but the files remain inaccessible (still “access is denied” error). The process of taking ownership seemed to have gone through all ok though. I could see the directory lines going by as the system was reallocating ownership. Maybe I did not grant rights of access properly?... At least I know the files are still in the hard drive... This kind of backfired however, ‘cause now i can only restart my friend’s laptop in safe mode, as the normal reboot mode gets to meet up with the infamous BSOD...

Any suggestion for what I could try next would be welcome.
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried booting from a retail Windows XP SP3 setup disc? The retail version will scan for existing installations of Windows and if it detects it, it will ask if you would like to repair the installation. If you choose yes, it will strip the hardware-dependent files, and overwrites important binary files. It will leave the user profile information intact.

This is the procedure I used back when I would upgrade a motherboard and did not want to install a fresh installation of XP or reactivate it. Make sure the hard drive is in the original system (the one you are trying to restore) and if needed, remove any other hard drives temporarily to increase the chance of success of the repair procedure.

Alternative: If you own a copy of Acronis True Image 10 or 11 (not 2010 or 2011) and have external storage available, you can create an image of the hard drive before attempting further repair operations. Additionally, you can download VMWare Player free of charge from VMware.com along with vSphere Converter standalone installer and create a virtual machine using the .TIB file created with Acronis True Image 10.0 or 11.0 or Acronis Echo Enterprise (I forget what they call it now, it used to be Acronis True Image Enterprise).

Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Workstation is also able to restore a .TIB backup file to a VM for testing/troubleshooting purposes.

Hope this info starts you in the right direction, good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

This is a symptom of a really bad infection. Remove the HDD from the computer and attach it to USB Adapter Mount it on another computer. Now as an external drive, scan with AV software, and Malwarebytes, do full scans a few times. At this point you should be able to access the files and back them up, you may need to take ownership again. Once the drive is clean you can put it back in the computer and see if it boots correctly. If your still infected head over to the Security Section of this forum for more help.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Dear All,

Thx for the ideas.

I ended up using a data recovery software (Minitool Power Data Recovery free edition v.6.5).

Trully recomended as it's freeware and manage to overcome the "drive not accessible" issues and impossibility of getting copies of users' data within the system.

It can recover deleted files as well as partitions gone bad. I used this feature to manage to access data.

thx

kafu kalatrava
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Glad to hear you got it sorted. But I would still scan your drive for malware. Please mark this thread solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Dear All,

Thx for the ideas.

I ended up using a data recovery software (Minitool Power Data Recovery free edition v.6.5).

Trully recomended as it's freeware and manage to overcome the "drive not accessible" issues and impossibility of getting copies of users' data within the system.

It can recover deleted files as well as partitions gone bad. I used this feature to manage to access data.

thx

kafu kalatrava
Closed Thread