03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hi All, I have a difficult problem in a friends laptop I'd like to sort out.
-WinXP v. 5.1 Sp3
- Compaq Presario C300 1gb ram
These are the symptoms:
- unable to copy and paste, as paste shows up in grey in the right click options
- can't drag and drop
- can't access network (message like "RPC server is not working" shows up)
- when in safe mode, administrator account's task bar is locked below
the bottom of screen, I couldn't find a way to put it visible (i can
see the edge of it's top, but it won't budge with mouse drag as
well...). Task bar is visible from my friend's User's account though.
- I still can get access to task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del and
start programs/utilities from there
- I used his hard drive as external drive in my laptop (Win7), but my
system can't access data drive c: ("access denied" error) but can
access restore drive D:
Since my friend didn't have any back ups, the system has "arrested"
his personal files... We’d like to recover them somehow...
I have already tried all following fixes but none worked, the system
basically still has the issues described above:
- I tried sfc in administrator safe mode through command prompt, but this error
shows up: "Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of
protected files. Specific error code is 0x0000006ba (the RPC server is
- I ran full scan modes of Avira premium anti-virus, free Avast
anti-virus, Ad-aware and IObit 3360 internet secutrity on the hard
drive connected to my laptop as an external drive. The scans found “Suela-1042” and “\hiberfil.sys” infections, which were cleaned. These were found (or one of them at least... ) in directory “j:\found.000\dir0000.chk\de4”, j: being my friend’s drive attached as an external HD in my laptop. They also found a “Dialer-KT” which none of the above could clean off.
- I tried system restore from friends user acc, first is says "Sys
restore is not able to protect your computer. Pls restart and then run
Sys restore again." After restarting nothing happens so basically I can’t access system restore.
- I have tried to take ownership of my friends files and grant rights to my user account in laptop, but the files remain inaccessible (still “access is denied” error). The process of taking ownership seemed to have gone through all ok though. I could see the directory lines going by as the system was reallocating ownership. Maybe I did not grant rights of access properly?... At least I know the files are still in the hard drive... This kind of backfired however, ‘cause now i can only restart my friend’s laptop in safe mode, as the normal reboot mode gets to meet up with the infamous BSOD...
Any suggestion for what I could try next would be welcome.