Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] BSOD due to main hard drive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD due to main hard drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here is the situation. My customer called me and said his computer keeps booting in an endless loop. I suspected

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

My System

Here is the situation. My customer called me and said his computer keeps booting in an endless loop. I suspected a corrupted master boot record. I went to his house, booted up into the Recovery Console, did memory checks and such, and did a FIXBOOT command. Well, this did nothing for me except give me some typing practice. I noticed too that I can't get it to boot into SAFE MODE.

When I rebooted it, it came up with the infamous "NTLDR IS MISSING - PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART". And then it gets really exciting!! I tried rebooting again and got the BSOD 0x0000007f error. Well, I did all of the normal processes of elimination by removing one RAM module at a time (but memory already checked good so it was more of a second check than anything else) and disconnected one CD/DVD drive, although since I worked on the hard drive last, it just makes sense that something went awry on the hard drive.

Moving right along, I removed the hard drive and connected it to my Linux laptop (gotta love Linux!!!) and Linux sees all of the folders and files. I think something got messed up in the boot sector but now all I can get is a constant BSOD. Let me just clarify one point I left out above....the BSOD appears when I try to boot from the Windows XP disc in an attempt to get back into the Recovery Console. I think that perhaps the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands jacked up some pointers and now the processor doesn't know where to look so it stops.

I say all that to ask this: Is there a way I can take advantage of being able to access the hard drive via Linux to make it bootable again? As I said, I think I jacked up some pointers somehow and Windoze isn't letting me in. If I boot WITHOUT the CD, it just says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

One other point: During boot, it shows no IDE Channel 1 Master (which is where it should be seeing this hard drive). So, in effect, it doesn't even see the drive.

So, I can't boot up into the Recovery Console and I can't get to a command prompt in any way. I've tried two separate system disks and every time it gets all the way through the loading of drivers and such for setup and then it goes to BSOD 0x0000007f.

I can easily enough get all of the data off the drive through Linux but would love to restore the drive to functional without having to format it. Any ideas??

Thanks guys!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Mike, you know I've been seeing this kind of thing alot lately. It ususally ends up being just like you said a totally messed up boot record. Now how this comes to be I really haven't found out yet, although I suspect some sort of a Win update, 3rd party service conflict that is occuring to all these computers. Although you may very well be able to resolve this without a reinstall, since you are able to recover the info with linux, the easiest fastest way to fix this persons computer is going to be to get the data, use kill disk to wipe the drive and do a format and re-install. Believe me the client will thank you since the computer will most likely work better than ever. If you need a link to download killdisk just let me know. I'm sorry I don't have a better fix for you, but I have tried everything else with this problem and as I said this was always the easiest fix.

Let Me know if I can help further.

Reguards
Patmark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

My System

Thanks, Patmark. I think I came to the same conclusion. It's just going to be a lot less of a headache to recover the data and wipe the drive. I'll chalk this one up to "operator error" (my own error) and move on. I think the FIXBOOT or FIXMBR command jacked something up but I'm just not sure how to undo it.

Best wishes! I hope the hurricanes aren't pestering you out there in FL. My step-son and his new bride just left Sunday for a cruise to the Bahamas out of Miami. Hopefully it'll be a pleasant trip!

Good day!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Ya buddy so far we have been really lucky this year and have dodged them all, Knock on wood. I sure hope the newlyweds will enjoy their trip. Not too worry the Bahamas is only 45 miles or so away so they will be close to port if that peskey darn hurricane rears it's ugly head, LOL. As for the BSOD, I've worked on at least 100 it seems in the last few months and I really think that the damage was done before you ever touched it. 95% of the ones that I've worked on have started the restart loop after that darn last windows update Quicksilver. But as far as I have been able to determine it's causing a problem with the native windows debugger. I'm not sure what it is about it but I've noticed that in all the dumps I've looked at it shows a problem occuring right after the quicksilver update causing a debug to occur. Once this happens the darn systems seem to shut down and just keep looping or if they have it set not to shut down with a system failure then it blue screens. Who the heck knows I reckon I'll figure it out eventially, but if you happen to find a fix for it pm me and let me know.

Take care buddy. If you are finished with this thread do me a favor and mark it solved using the quick tools option located at the top of this thread and selecting solved from the drop down menu.

Thanks
Mark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Closed Thread