Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Batch file or command to delete folder

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Batch file or command to delete folder within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello, I was wondering just a few seconds why the subject https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-227649.html had been closed? the problem hasn't been solved?

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

hello, I was wondering just a few seconds why the subject https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-227649.html had been closed? the problem hasn't been solved?

So I was also wondering how to delete subfolders in batch command line or file?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Oh! how stupid am I.

few minutes in google and the answer is :
for example you are dealing with the C:\temp folder and you want to erase all elements in it!
batch file :
@echo off

del "C:\temp\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\temp\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

exit

command line for delete subfolders (if you want to test) :
for /d %X in ("C:\temp\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %X

I think it's larger better than erase the "C:\temp" folder and recreate it! Because if you want to do this for all the temporary folders (windows has it tricks)... it will be long. fortunately, you wouldn't do that because I made it for you, enjoy (just replace %profile% by you'r profile name or the profile name variable (%USERNAME%)):

@echo off
del "C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Temp\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Temp\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

del "C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

del "C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

del "C:\temp\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\temp\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

del "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\WINDOWS\Temp\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

del "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\*" /Q /F /S
for /d %%X in ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\*") do RMDIR /S /Q %%X

exit

and please, do not close subject with horible things!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

The thread was closed because it was created more than 3 years ago and the last post was more than a year ago. It should be closed. When you have a question you should create a new thread as you have done, not add it to an old one. That only causes confusion.

You would use the RMDIR (or RD) command to delete a subfolder. The folder must be empty. However, if you add the /S switch it will delete the subfolder and all folders and files it contains. Use with care. Be aware that files deleted from the command line do not go to the recycle bin.

You can type "help" at the command line to get a list of the most commonly used commands. Type "help commandname" to get more information on a specific command.
Closed Thread