Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Software Installs fail

This is a discussion on Software Installs fail within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. Have been using xp for years and never ran into this problem: right now I am working on

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there. Have been using xp for years and never ran into this problem: right now I am working on updating a pc running xp sp 3 that hadn't been used in a while. It has a cpu speed of 1.7 ghz, 512 mb of ram, and a 40 GB harddrive. Have been trying to install software for a printer and also for avg antivirus. Both fail. Somehow I am getting the vibe after trying several times that the install writes to a temp file during the process and it returns an access denied or not enough space in temp file. I have emptied the temp file after each fail. Didn't help. I checked in "My Computer', the page file is a min. 380 MB, expandable to 768. Also, the Harddisk is by far not full, not even half full. It's got 30 GB free space. Over the last 10 years I have installed hundreds of programs. Another thing I noticed, besides those install programs is that the pc takes a long time to install drivers for a usb drive for instance. That doesn't seem normal either to me. What could be wrong? I am at my wit's end. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Test the RAM with "Memtest86" here: https://www.memtest86.com/

Download the iso image to make a bootable CD so you can test the ram without Windows running - that way more of the RAM will be able to be tested.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Change the Page File to be system managed size. As for the failed software, go to Add Remove programs and if they are installed uninstall them. Then do a search for the software and delete any residual files, (there should be files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\[application] or C:\Program Files\Common Files as well as Program Files. empty the Recycle bin and restart the computer. then try to Reinstall the programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks, pip22 and spunk.funk, for your replies. Unfortunately, the ram tested ok and there were no residuals anywhere.
My next step is to use the setup disk, click on setup and let Windows repair. It deleted files and copied files. Which was alright. Then it wanted the disk again and I got the original setup screen... Maybe it's doing a clean install. That's okay, too. I've got really nothing to lose.
Will report back when it's all finished.
Closed Thread