Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

So Sound From Plug-in Speakers

This is a discussion on So Sound From Plug-in Speakers within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I do not get any sound whenever I plug in speakers to my Acer TravelMate 2480 laptop (Windows XP). I

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I do not get any sound whenever I plug in speakers to my Acer TravelMate 2480 laptop (Windows XP).

I do get sound normally on the computer, but just not with plugged-in speakers, and I have tried more than one set of speakers. I have looked at my sound settings and they all look normal. I tried all the settings for speaker setup/control panel, one at a time, and none of them worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Um, make that NO sound......Spell Check Error
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Troubled

Go to the Device Manager. Do you see any yellow marks next to Sound and Game Devices? If so then you need to download the driver from your computer manufacturers web site.
If there are no yellow marks and you see the sound drivers. Go into Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/ Audio and under Playback Devices and take the drop down arrow and choose the sound device that is the same under the Device Manager. Double click the Sound Icon and make sure all the volumes are up and nothing is muted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

No yellow asteriks under Sound & Game Devices.

Realtek High Definition Audio is what appears under Sound/Audio/Device Playback as well as in Device Manager.

Nothing is muted. I get sound on my laptop, the prolem is that I do not get sound when I plug in external speakers.

When I plug in headphones, I get sound in the ear pieces, but the sound still comes through the laptop. Hmmmm, would that indicate a bad audio jack?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Um, now the situation is that when I plug in external speakers or headphones, the sound still comes from the laptop instead of just being sent to the headphones or speakers. I do get the sound through the speakers and headphones, but want to mute the sound from the laptop.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

It sounds to me like your audio output is fried. Check and see if you have a warranty still on it. Otherwise replace the motherboard.
Closed Thread