Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

slow USB 2.0 ("this device can perform faster" message)

This is a discussion on slow USB 2.0 ("this device can perform faster" message) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, All my USB ports (which are suppose to be 2.0) have been giving me "this device can perform

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

All my USB ports (which are suppose to be 2.0) have been giving me
"this device can perform faster" notifications. This has resulted in
very slow transfers - for example, 700MB of data takes 15 minutes.

What I've tried but still received "this device can perform faster" notifcation and slow transfer each time:

- checked that "enhanced host controller" is showing under devmgmt
(see screencap: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet)
- checked BIOS that all USB settings are high speed/2.0
- tested on every port
- tested more than one USB 2.0 device
- checked for conflicts by removing all USB devices and then only testing one device at a time
- checked for updated drivers (notification that latest is installed)

Specs:

- Windows XP SP2
- Intel D865PERL motherboard

Not sure what else to try. Any help would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Hmmmm.....if possible, to go Intel's website and try upgrading the chipset drivers for your motherboard. If there are also USB drivers, download the latest updates for that as well.

It's possible though that there are no updates since you're computer is using an older operartin system(Windows XP).

I would still go to the website to check and see.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As DB Cooper said, download the Chipset driver for your motherboard.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...Desktop-Boards
If that doesn't work, If you have an XP CD, put that in and go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files from the Windows CD.
If this still fails, then try a Bios Update:Express BIOS Update Instructions
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you very much DBCooper and spunk.funk - I'll try that
Old 10-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

hey spunk.funk

Tried SFC /scannow and it worked temporarily. After re-plugging in my printer, fax, and hub (off the monitor), the ports became slow again. I rebooted, ran SFC /scannow a 2nd time but the ports remained slow

Updating the chipset drivers/BIOS didn't work either.

I have some new info that may help shed light on what's going on. Just remembered that a few months ago, I was receiving a new error when plugging in my tablet via USB: "USB device not recognized." In an effort to fix this via devmgmt, I may have uninstalled or deleted something by mistake. Turns out that it was a hardware (cable) problem but the damage may have been done.

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
As DB Cooper said, download the Chipset driver for your motherboard.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...Desktop-Boards
If that doesn't work, If you have an XP CD, put that in and go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files from the Windows CD.
If this still fails, then try a Bios Update:Express BIOS Update Instructions
Old 10-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

With a USB device plugged in. Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
In the Device Manager are there any devices with a yellow flags next to them? If so, Right click them and Uninstall them. Unplug the USB cable or device from the computer end and restart the computer. When the computer comes back up, plug in the Tablet or other USB device. If a device has it's own power adapter, be sure to plug that directly into the Wall and not through a power strip or extension cord, as this diminishes the power.
If plugging into a Desktop, plug it into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front as these ports are weaker.
If you get another yellow flag, the USB port is not providing enough power to the device. The device may need it's own power adapter.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks spunk.funk. No yellow flags when devices (powered or unpowered such as thumb drives) plugged in (in any port)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
With a USB device plugged in. Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
In the Device Manager are there any devices with a yellow flags next to them? If so, Right click them and Uninstall them. Unplug the USB cable or device from the computer end and restart the computer. When the computer comes back up, plug in the Tablet or other USB device. If a device has it's own power adapter, be sure to plug that directly into the Wall and not through a power strip or extension cord, as this diminishes the power.
If plugging into a Desktop, plug it into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front as these ports are weaker.
If you get another yellow flag, the USB port is not providing enough power to the device. The device may need it's own power adapter.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Also under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, is there an Unknown Device? if so, follow the instructions in the last post about uninstalling it etc
Are you still getting the message "This Device Can Perform Faster...."? If not, then your USB ports are functioning correctly.