Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Slow Closing Properties Dialog

This is a discussion on Slow Closing Properties Dialog within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a new (one-week old) install of XP/SP2. The property page dialog of a shortcut takes about fifteen seconds

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a new (one-week old) install of XP/SP2.

The property page dialog of a shortcut takes about fifteen seconds to close if I have clicked the Find Target button and the target is found. Everything else works properly. The only problem is the slow closing of the dialog box. The 15 second time begins when the Find Target button is clicked. Also, this time is additive: if I click the Find Target button more than once, the delay increases (approximately one minute for three clicks).

When the Find Target button is clicked, an Explorer window opens with the proper folder and the delay is not affected by whether the Explorer window is closed or left open. If the target is not found, then the Properties dialog closes immediately, as normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

A short addition to the problem description:

When Find Target is clicked, the properties dialog box loses keyboard focus for the previously-described delay time. Any suggestions on tools I might use to find the problem? I have used SysInternals Process Explorer and can find nothing strange going on there. I have removed my anti-virus program and stopping unnecessary processes. Still no luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

I found it. The problem occurs when the Explorer's default style is set to "explore" using Folder Options/File Types/Folder. When the default is set to "open" there is no problem.

The problem was not there before I reinstalled XP and allowed all of the updates from Microsoft to be installed. In the previous seven or eight years I've been using this computer - with the default Explorer style set to "explore" - there has been no problem. I can only assume that there is an issue with one of the Windows updates.

Has anyone else run into this with recent updates?

Thanks.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off line mapped drives cause slow opening files Dialog -XP Office 2007
I found that other solutions such as deleting "recent "did not work, but found this on the MS support site, but I have drives on machines that I want mapped and accessed to when the machine is on. I do not want to have to remove the map then remap it. Windows and Office should ignore or put a...
Jackever Microsoft Office support 0 04-05-2011 12:45 PM
Computer will not detect video card
System Properties/Device Manager/Display Adapters/Nvidia GForce 9500 GT/Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) I have been using the above video card successfully since 2009. I booted this box a couple of days ago to a...
58for18 Windows XP Support 2 03-22-2011 01:42 PM
[SOLVED] Installed Win 7 - Case become loud
Hi all. I know that im profoundly deaf but im really not happy with my PC as i installed Win 7 and the noise started to raise since extracting windows installion and thought it will be gone as when Win7 loads but since win7 start. the case begin to get loud and loud. I can feel the heavy...
CrazyComputerMan Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 9 02-24-2011 01:52 PM
Lag in Dragon Age: Origins
I have Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for the PC. My PC surpasses the minimum requirements for the game and it runs really well for about an hour until it begins to get really sluggish. Around this point the loading times will increase and the frame rate will drop. What would cause that? ...
AndyJP PC Gaming Support 9 01-30-2011 06:47 AM
No Sound Problem !!!
I have problem with no sound on my PC. It began after restarting. When I go to Device manager > Sound , video and game controllers I see yellow warning sign and when click on it ___Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)___...
damjanes Driver Support 8 01-21-2011 04:32 AM