Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Sharing Network Connection! Serious issues!

This is a discussion on Sharing Network Connection! Serious issues! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sharing Network Connection Hey. Down on my room I got on laptop and a another pc. The laptop has a

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

Sharing Network Connection

Hey. Down on my room I got on laptop and a another pc.
The laptop has a network card and I recive a good singal there, as for the pc it dont such a card.
So what i did was to use a standard network cabel. Spesifications(AESP (UL) TYPE CM 4PR 24AWG) thats what it says on the cabel...
any way, so i used that from my laptop and into my other pc. And hers the network setup:
The wierless connection on laptop:
IP: 192.168.0.11
MASK: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS 194.19.2.11
The local cabel network on laptop:
IP: 192.168.0.12
MASK 255.255.255.0
And thas all there.

Now on the other stationary pc i had recive ip adress and the same with the dns. Now on the wierless card under properties on wierlessnetwork connection in the tab advanced there are 2 boxes you can check on off (Allow other networks users to use this computers network connection) And I check on that. And it worked as hell! Got fast internet trough the laptop and on to my stationary pc.

Now the problem is! My dad changed the network from the 0 to 149.
So now it is IP: 192.168.149.11
The same gose for the 0 in the gateway aswell. Changed to 149.
And now for some reason the stationary pc cant get ip adress. I trie to use repair on network but it wont get any ip adress at all. Than I went back to 0 on the laptop just to check and it got an ip than. But there is no network on 0 any more. We just got a new internet connection, so we temporarly used the 0 insted of 149 which is used all over this house. But still why wont it work on 149, whats special about the 0??? or whats special about the 149? I cant seem to understand why that is? If any one could look into this i would be most gratefull!

THX Agian! Hope we can solv this. And btw my pc language is in norwegian so I translated it so it might not be wordly correct. But it should have the same meaning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You can use any IP that you like for the LAN in your home. Changing from 0 to 149 or 222 makes no difference. But if you know that it works using 192.168.0.x why even change it?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
You can use any IP that you like for the LAN in your home. Changing from 0 to 149 or 222 makes no difference. But if you know that it works using 192.168.0.x why even change it?

Sorry to say this but can you read? I wrote up there that it did work with the 0 but with 149 it dos not, and our hole system at home including dads work at his pc company uses 149! and therfor we can not change that! But i'm not stupid and whene i say it dont work with 149 it dosn't work with 149. But it dose with 0. And its not just getting the pc togheter on network its sharing the internet conncet. meaning that the pc without wireless card also gets internet trough the laptops wierless card connection!"! I would not be supriced if this was one of the million "smart" ideas(bein ironic in case you did not understand that) that microsft has added to there system. Like 0 is easy to share trough or if its something special about that god dam 0. If there is one thing thats less understandable than chines it is the network system in xp. Always something strange, always something that dos not work. Sorry for taking off her, just a bit pissed. But really if any one has eny idea I would be Extremly happy. I just might fly from little norway to where ever you are and give you a big nice teddy bear hug. if you want that ofc. If not I think will leav that one dead.
Closed Thread