Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Share Management via "Computer Management" Snap-In

This is a discussion on Share Management via "Computer Management" Snap-In within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is nothing new to me, that is to say, managing shares from the Computer Management Snap-In. What is "new"

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

This is nothing new to me, that is to say, managing shares from the Computer Management Snap-In. What is "new" to me is why on certain machines on the network the "Properties" and "Stop Sharing" items are not listed int he context menu when you right-click on a share. Is this a permissions issue? I can't see that it would be seeing as how the "Computer Administrator" is ticked in the "Users" control panel. Any ideas? I've actually wondered about this for a long time, but now it's essential that I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

Yes this is permission issue. You have to give user file sharing permission and security permission.If you give premission to user to use files or share have to check your security permission.Also make sure users power user permission on local computer.Check your GPO for users instead.

You can also try SFC scan:

The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
1. Click Start and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

4. Hit Enter.

The SFC scan should replace the corrupted files.
I hope this helps you, Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

What I understood from your post was this:

1. File sharing permission
2. Security permission
3. User must be int he "Power Users" group

How do you set the "file sharing" permission?
How do you set the "security" permission?

What snap-in are we talking about here (i.e. xxxx.mmc)

I added the user to the power users group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Can someone respond more to this thread, the previous poster's answer is somewhat insuficent for me. I don't know what the "file sharing permission" means. (Read/Write? Read-Only?) I'm just not sure what he's talking about.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Which files can't shere with user ? Have to go that file and right click on it go to properties sharing option then add your which user need to access that file.Also please do on security tab in files properties.Give them read/write permission.If you have server from AD (Active Directory) to go OU (Organizational Unit) then select which user can't share files give them permission or under AD\Users folder select users which can't share files and give them permission.SO if don't understand follow links down below......

Microsoft Management Console - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Organizational Unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

I don't think you are understanding my question at all. This question has nothing to do with file permissions, it has to do with THE SNAP-IN. Look below . . . https://www.petri.co.il/images/new_share.gif Take a look at that picture. Normally, you should be able to right-click a share and it should allow you to view it's "Properties", "Stop Sharing", etc. All I get is "Refresh" and some other option I can't remember at the moment. This is the problem, not sharing the files, but managing them.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Is the computer in question XP Home or Pro? These options are not available in Home. Do you have Simple File Sharing turned on?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

It's XP Pro. I installed XP Pro on a test machine with SP2 and it's the same way. I'm guessing it's a security issue so it was disabled, but re-enabling it somehow is not obvious. I looked through all the local security policy options and it does not seems to be in there either. The computer is logged in as an Administrator. That is to say the "default" user after the XP installation has finished. I'm very surprised that not more people have come up with an answer. I've also had a though time finding anything elseware on the web.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again and sorry for delay ;

On the local computer login as an admin (which comp. can't share) and you have to open MMC ( start\run and type in MMC thrn Enter) and on upper left menu File\add-remove snap-in then on the list add shared folder (local) on the local computer.When you add on your list, right click on it. Then NEW \ Share. it will start create a shared folder wizard then next and which folder want to share select from browser under d:\ m:\ f:\ etc. drivers. I mean you can re-create folder and files on the local computer. Maybe this understanable for you.We all here to help you. Thanks for your patience.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Registered Member

I'm sorry, but you are really not understanding what the question is. Look at the image below please.

Do you see how there is TWO options? (Refresh and Help) when I right-click the share??? THAT is the problem. Not sharing.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Highlight your drive then you can try on console menu go to ACTION \ PROPERTIES
Closed Thread