Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

SD Cards Formatting Problems

This is a discussion on SD Cards Formatting Problems within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My folks have a Microsoft XP PCand I took some MicroSD cards to their place over the holidays which contained

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

My folks have a Microsoft XP PCand I took some MicroSD cards to their place over the holidays which contained photos and videos. When I connected it to the USB on the tower, both cards opened a message asking me to format the cards before I can use them.

I use a MS Vista PC at my home and the cards are formatted to ExFAT. One card is 64GB and the other is 128GB. I never had any issues with them.

I decided to format one of the cards on my folk's machine and it would NOT let me format it at all. I was able to "format" it using a small program called SDFormatter that eventually allowed me to transfer some files to the card that I was able to see on their smartTV.

When i returned home and inserted them into my PC, both cards gave me the message "you need to format the card(s)".... even the one that I didn't format with my parent's PC. I reformatted both cards on my PC (the normal method) and they seem to be working as they should.

I've never come across this situation before with a PC not being able to format and basically screwing up the card(s) when the card(s) are used on another PC.

Anyone come across this and have any ideas on a solution?

P.S. I have plugged in my Samsung Note 3 as well as a WD Passport External USB Drive into their machine and was able to read and transfer data perfectly fine.... as well as plug it back into my PC without any issues. Seems like an issue with SD Cards and probably USB Flash drives...

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
USB on the tower
Did you use the same USB Card Reader on your home computer as at your folks? If not, it may be caused by the Card Reader.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes... Same card reader on both machines
Closed Thread