Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

screen "grays out" after entering logon creds

This is a discussion on screen "grays out" after entering logon creds within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I configured a spare computer for a client and they are trying to deploy it. Customer is telling me that

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

I configured a spare computer for a client and they are trying to deploy it. Customer is telling me that after they enter Windows credentials and hit enter the screen just "grays out" and doesn't log on. No error message or anything just infinite grayness until you power the machine down. What could that be?
Pertinent info: It's running XP, it's on a domain, the account be used to log in with is not a cached account. (the only caches account on the machine is the domain admin account which I can't give out the password for).

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated, client is many miles away and I have so many other things I need to do tomorrow besides drive out there.

Thanks, Stick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Can you create a new guest account on the Domain Controller in AD for the client and have them log in as the new user? If that works, then their profile may have become corrupted.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
TSF Emeritus

"grey" screen usually indicates the beginning of a log out or shutdown sequence.
Does this happen will different accounts logging on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you both for the replys. I did create a new account soley for this computer and the same thing happened when trying to log on. I'm going to have them boot into Safe Mode and see if it that works and I'll post back.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
TSF Emeritus

What happens when you use this computer to logon?
Did you join the computer to the domain?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

When the computer grays out, can you hit CTRL+AL+Del and go to the Task Manager? If so then go to File/New Task(Run..) and type in explorer.exe
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

OK so here's what happened. I installed AVG free just in case the Panda security (ever heard of Panda?) didn't push out properly. Well you know that story about how you shouldn't have two AV's on any one computer? It holds true here. I've seen Norton and McAfee play nice together but Panda and ANYTHING will not. I've uninstalled both Panda and AVG and the computer is acting normally now. Still have to bring back onsite but looks like it'll be fine. Thanks for all the replys.
Closed Thread