Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Restoring XP Boot loader

This is a discussion on Restoring XP Boot loader within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, In an effort to combine unused space on my multi-boot laptop, I used minitool partition to shrink an unused

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
In an effort to combine unused space on my multi-boot laptop, I used minitool partition to shrink an unused Fedora partition (forgot password) and create a NTFS partition that can be used with my current windows operating system.
I was able to do that but lost the link to the Vista boot manager, and now the laptop just stops on boot with a cursor in the top left corner.
I booted with a 'Super Grub' CD and it finds the Vista Boot partition ok and I can select my XP windows partition. This sort of suggests that I can restore the linkage to the loader. I've tried 'fixmbr' from a "repair" option, but that did not do the trick.
I tried a search and came up empty.
Anyone with the answer to this?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you can boot into Windows XP then download EasyBCD Free edition and add your other OS's to the boot loader.
If not, then try this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader
Old 02-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Spunk.
I downloaded easybcd and when I tried running it, I got a message that said
"the boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system could not find the file specified"

I'll try your second suggestion.

Yes, I've already tried the second option too (fixboot and fixmbr commands)
Now I get "NTLDR Missing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot from an Ubuntu Live CD as suggested in the link, and run Boot Repair and Restore MBR
Old 02-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hmm, both of my ubuntu live cd's do not have Boot-repair loaded on them.

Does it matter that the loader that Super Grub detects is a Windows Vista Loader and I'm trying to fix it with a Linux boot repair?

The boot-repair ISO is huge 830MB. I cannot download it and add it to Ubuntu as the post suggests as the Live CD of Ubuntu doesn't recognize that I have a wireless access point to get internet connection.

I may have to wait until I get to a location where I can download the ISO.
Closed Thread