Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Restore files Win XP SP3

This is a discussion on Restore files Win XP SP3 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I would like to iron clad my system restore files ; that meaning that I would like to save those

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I would like to iron clad my system restore files ; that meaning that I would like to save those files to an external thumb drive or just off the desktop

Is this possible and where to find them

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

System Restore does not replace a Backup. System Restore does not recover personal files, (ie) Documents, Pictures, Music etc. It just restores your computers System Files to a previous time. Older System Restore points are overwritten by newer ones depending on how much space is allocated for System Restore.
Backing up the System Restore is a waste of time, and will not be helpful. It's better to backup your personal files to a USB Flash or better yet USB HDD or Cloud service.
If you want to know where the System Restore points are saved, Browse to C:\Windows\System32\rstrui How to Get to System Restore From the Windows Directory | Chron.com
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the real critical info:)

Does the system restore program back up the registry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

System Restore only takes a snapshot of your System Files, Drivers some Programs and the Registry. It is not always reliable. It does not take the place of a backup.
It will not backup your personal files.
If your computer is running great, then you can create an Image file or Clone of the system using a 3rd party app like Macrium Reflect and save it to a USB HDD. Which you can restore if disaster strikes.
As Stated, You should also backup your Personal Files (ie) Pictures, Music, Documents, etc to an external USB HDD or Cloud service as well.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

you are very correct on the BU of personal files 0 and thanks for the schooling on what system restore acually does

I've gotten into major trouble awhile back fooling around with the registry (not good and sometimes BUs do not help)

Jeff
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you are going to fool around in the Registry, you should first backup the Registry key your going to edit, or the whole registry. If that fails, the next approach would be System Restore, but that may not work if you edited a key that System Restore uses. If you run into major problems, restoring an Image file or Clone will restore you back to the day it was created.;
Old 05-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Registered Member

spunk.funk - you are so correct! I've learned from a real disaster (booting up windows only to see a black screen with a white blinking cursor)

If there was an equal to a minefield in the real world - it is the registry

But then again that's how I learned...

What keys in the reg are used by sys restore?
Closed Thread