Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Repair Install Gives a Black Screen

This is a discussion on Repair Install Gives a Black Screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently tried to do a repair install of my win xp pro, but it would get to the blu

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #1

I recently tried to do a repair install of my win xp pro, but it would get to the blu e set-up screen and freeze around the installing devices part. I then reconfigured my ide cables connected to my cd-rom drives and attempted it again. The second time, i let it run and after the windows logo screen finished loading, my screen would flicker once and then i would see my mouse which i could move around. I've tried to reinstall windows xp pro a few times after this fiasco but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #2

Whats the error on the Stop screen?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:27 AM   #3

Uh..., there isn't any stop screen. All i see is a blank screen with my mouse. It just stays there when i leave it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 01:42 AM   #4

You said that earlier, you got a blue screen with an error msg, did you note it down?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:44 AM   #5

I meant the blue set-up screen when it was installing devices, so it wasn't a stop error. It just stopped. If there was suppose to be a stop error, I didn't see any. My current problem is that I keep getting the blank screen and I'm unable to even continue with the set-up.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #6

I would try a vanilla install; remove any external devices. Remove any PCI card devices (noting where they are connected) and disconnect (unplug power and data cables) to any drives you will not be needing for install.

In some cases if you have onboard ethernet you will need to boot to bios setup and disable the onboard ethernet.

Then do your install . Once XP is up and running , you can reconnect devices and install drivers.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #7

Hello,

This is an old post, but maybe my post helps for other users. I have the same problem, and I have searched through the Internet and I did not find any solution for my problem, therefore I made my own solution.

I have an ATI Radeon 7000 AGP card, and I tried to install windows XP + SP3, and during the installing devices section the setup hanged with the black screen.

I have booted my system using a boot disk (Hiren's boot CD -> Mini Windows XP), and then I looked into the end of C:\WINDOWS\setupapi.log, and it seemed, the setup hanged up during the ATI card driver installation (the driver comes from the Windows Install disk). It looked like this:

Code:
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): pci\ven_1002&dev_5159&subsys_2037148c&rev_00,pci\ven_1002&dev_5159&subsys_2037148c,pci\ven_1002&dev_5159&cc_030000,pci\ven_1002&dev_5159&cc_0300
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\ven_1002&dev_5159&rev_00,pci\ven_1002&dev_5159,pci\ven_1002&cc_030000,pci\ven_1002&cc_0300,pci\ven_1002,pci\cc_030000,pci\cc_0300
#-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup -newsetup
#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\atiixpag.inf; Device: "RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE Family (Microsoft Corporation)"; Driver: "RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE Family (Microsoft Corporation)"; Provider: "ATI Technologies Inc."; Mfg: "ATI Technologies Inc."; Section name: "ati2mtag_RV100".
And then I have removed the C:\WINDOWS\inf\atiixpag.inf, to make for the setup impossible to find a video card driver for my card, then I have restarted my computer, and let it boot from C: drive, the installing devices part restarted, and it wasn't able to find the driver, and it continued and finished successfully, and then I could install the graphic card driver later from the vendor CD in windows.

An alternative soulution would be to replace the graphic card before installation, or enable the MotherBoard integrated one, but I have only this graphic card.

I hope this post will help for others as well.

whytom
Closed Thread