Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Removing old operating system files (?)

This is a discussion on Removing old operating system files (?) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello - My computer had Win98 and I upgraded to XP years ago when it came out. When I upgraded

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #1

Hello - My computer had Win98 and I upgraded to XP years ago when it came out. When I upgraded I think I had the option of keeping the Win98 files in case the upgrade to XP didn't work or something like that. It was so long ago I don't remember.

The problem is I'm running out of space on my hard drive. I would like to know if there is any way to remove files from Win98 that aren't needed, if any. I know about a quarter of the disk space was taken up with only Win98 installed. After the upgrade to XP, a little over half of the disk space was being used and that was before any other software or files were added. Is removing the Win98 stuff even possible?

I hit F8 on start up and found that XP is the only operating system I can choose to boot. I don't know much about partitioning and stuff and I upgraded so long ago I don't remember what I did. Any suggestions? I can't afford another hard drive at the moment so I have to work with what I have.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #2

tomwbro,

If you installed Windows XP to a different folder than the Win98 that was on your PC before - then removing those files is easy - just remove the old Win98 folder. Unfortunately, the default folder for BOTH operating systems is C:\Windows - so if you remove files in C:\Windows, you'll delete Windows XP as well.

You can search your drive for a Windows.old folder. If this folder exists - delete it.

You can also run XP's Disk Cleanup in Accessories, System Tools.

The only SURE way to remove all old Win98 components without messing up XP would be to reformat and reinstall XP from scratch.

Try Disk Cleanup and see if that helps.

- John
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #3

Thanks, John.

I guess I'm stuck. Win98 and XP were installed in the same folder, Windows.old doesn't exist, and I've been running Disk Cleanup a lot because I have very little free space.

I only have the upgrade CD for XP, not the whole operating system. I don't have installation CDs for Win98. So I don't think I can reformat and start from scratch.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #4

tomwbro,

Windows 98 didn't really have a large "footprint" compared to XP and Vista. Most of the old Win98 files were probably overwritten by XP if you did an "Upgrade" to XP, so I don't believe the old Win98 files are really eating up that much of your drive space.

Question - how large is your hard drive? How much free space is left? (Open My Computer, right click on C: drive, click Properties). Is this a desktop or laptop PC? If so, what is the make/model?

Did you attempt to run disk cleanup in XP? If so, did it clear up any space? Have you emptied your Recycle Bin?

Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any programs you're NOT using. Be careful NOT to uninstall software specific to hardware such as printers, video cards, sound hardware, etc. Eliminate any applications or "bloat-ware" that you're not using and this should free up some space.

Open up Internet Explorer, click on Tools, Internet Option, Delete Files, check "Delete all offline content". This should free up space.

If you've got video files, documents, pictures, music files, etc in your My Documents or elsewhere on your PC that you're no longer using, consider deleting the stuff you'll never need again and/or backing up those files to removeable media (CDR, DVDR, Flash Drive, External USB Drive, etc). It doesn't make sense to keep data on your PC that you're unlikely to need access to. With a backup - you can always restore those files at a later time if necessary.

If you had programs installed under Win98 that are no longer being using by XP but don't show up in XP's Add/Remove Programs, you can use an uninstall program to clean up those old programs/files:

https://www.perfectuninstaller.net/

If you have a desktop and your hard drive is small and/or full - it's not very expensive to add an additional large hard drive or replace the small hard drive you currently have. Laptops are a different story - which is why I asked if you had a desktop or laptop.

How old is your PC? I ask because if you were running Win98, it's not a new system. I say this because hard drives don't last forever and if this is the original drive that was running Win98, it's probably not got too many good years left in it. That said - you definately want to do a full backup and may want to consider replacing/upgrading your drive before it dies. If a drive PC lasts 4-6+ years, consider yourself VERY lucky.

Hope this helps.

- John
Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #5

John,

I appreciate all the info. My computer is old. Not sure how old, but it's running a Pentium 1.3 GHz with a 30 GB hard drive. I know that's not very impressive but it's good enough for my needs. I hate to buy a new PC because I don't need all the latest, fastest stuff. I only use mine for email and word processing.

I wasn't aware that the useful life for hard drives was 6 years. I'll most likely have to buy an external drive then. I was looking at hard drives and they're all USB 2.0. Will they still work with my PC? It doesn't have USB 2.0.

tomwbro
Closed Thread